Chapter 6

{The Fear Of Temptation}

"All that is gold does not glitter"

-J. R. R. Tolkien

༻❁༺

The event was venom and sparkles, caked with fake smiles and congratulations. It was the grand party of the year, the one where only the rich and garish were invited. It was how these parties worked, a smile painted on their lips and a glass of wine in their hands. And there they stand, the rich men in tailored suits, their wives made as showpieces. In their posh minds, the women were property and their lives be held in the palms of their men. They lived in lies, taught to be ashamed of their bodies. Love was disposed of, unable to thrive through their cold hearts. The women, robbed of their love and freedom begin to grow cold and distant which pillages their maternal ability to fully love their children. Their children then grow without knowing the true power of love. Thus birthing a loveless generation filled with power manipulation and control.

Through the hazy chatter, Diana indulged herself in inconsequential polite conversation with different gaudy people, Johnathan's arm was draped around her waist. She found comfort in him being near. She hated these parties with a passion and Johnathan was her only glimmer of light and escape from the sickening masqueraders in the room.

"I'll be right back, dear" Johnathan had said to his wife an hour in. He had spotted a group of very important men who would do wonders to his company if he spoke to them about shares, investments and all those boring business affairs.

Diana found herself near the table of neatly arranged finger foods, she grabbed a canapé and popped it in her mouth as she watched her husband mingle with a group of older men. She watched him, she took a moment to really study him, his physique, the way he spoke and carried himself. She was proud of him, the man who inherited his fathers broken business and built it up from ashes. The man capable of so much compassion and care. Why? Her mind echoed Why betray our love, Johnathan? She gulped down her wine glass in one go and continued to stare at her unfaithful husband. He seemed to have the attention of all the men in that group with the way he confidently spoke.

She watched as his eyes briefly flickered to the corner of the room where she stood. She was dressed in a casually tailored suit and her hair was salon-perfect. She had the air of one used to punctual service, her face poised, delicately painted with makeup, her manicured hand held a glass of champagne. His eyes flickered her way too many times for Diana's comfort so she averted her eyes from her husband and stared down at the empty glass in her hand whilst her mind busied itself comparing herself to that dreadful woman. She felt ugly at that moment, she felt unattractive. Her eyes began to glaze with emotions and her stomach began to throb with pain. She calmly placed her cup on the side of the table and before her tears broke through the layer of her eye, she rushed to the restroom where she let them loose.