49

Alex sat in a booth at the back of a bar and in front of him was none other than Miles Kane. Alex didn't know how to feel about the man before him. He wasn't sure whether to hate him or move on. Rosanna wasn't with him this time, only Alex and Miles to sort out their past differences and catch up since they last spoke to each other. Alex was going back on tour in a week so now was the only time he could see Miles before he left.

They each had their own pint of beer in front of them as they sat across from each other. Miles was making the most of the conversation. Alex was just sort of sitting there, pretending he was listening but in reality he was sitting there contemplating whether or not he was going to let Miles off for what he'd done just over a year ago. He knew it was probably morally right to just forgive him and let it go but at the same time, it still pissed some part of him off.

"How ya finding LA?" Alex asked, finally adding to the conversation.

"It's much warmer than Liverpool," Miles said, "How's Rosanna?"

"She's great," Alex smiled, "still making me happy."

"Aight, we may as well talk about it now instead of letting it linger all night," Miles sighed. "It was awful for me to do. I know that now. I'll never do anything like it again. I swear by it. I can see how much you love Rosanna and how much she loves you and I was a fucking idiot for trying to interfere."

"No you were a fucking asshole," Alex corrected. "But...fucking hell...I don't forgive ya but I still want us to be friends."

"Yeah I'm sorry mate," Miles said solemnly, "beat me up if I ever do anything like that again."

"Trust me I will," Alex said and sipped from his pint. "Anyway...fuck that, it's over with. It were a long time ago. No point opening old wounds."

Miles raised his glass to clink it with Alex's. "I'll drink to that."

Miles asked Alex how the tour was going and got a very enthusiastic response. Alex outlined the journey so far and Miles noted how many times Alex brought up Rosanna. He talked about her like she was pure diamond or some interstellar rock that had landed on earth and was one of a kind. Alex talked about her like she was his favourite book with the most unbelievable ending. It made Miles smile.

"I have a proposition," Miles said as they both finished their first pint.

"Go on," said Alex.

"We both get roaring drunk tonight to make up for all the times we didn't meet up over the last year," Miles said.

Alex quickly shook his head, "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Every time I drink excessively I fuck summat up," Alex said, remembering what he did all those months ago. It still haunted him. "Can't let meself get back in that situation again."

Miles sighed understandably, "aight. Fair enough. How bout tipsy enough to have a good time but not enough so that you loose control."

"I can definitely commit to that," Alex smiled.

They ordered Alex's only round of shots for the night and downed them at the bar. Alex refused to let Rosanna down by getting shitfaced drunk again so as soon as his head began to feel dizzy he switched to water. Not letting you down again baby. No more getting pissed off me face.

  Miles was quite a socialite and after only living in LA for about a fortnight he had already met a large range of people that he suggested he and Alex go clubbing with.

  "I don't know mate," Alex said nervously, scratching the back of his neck. "It's getting late. I don't want to worry Rosanna."

  "Why don't ya just message her?" Miles said. "Come on lad, I haven't seen ya in ages. I'm just asking one night. One night we get rowdy — not too rowdy obviously — just to have some fun."