Chapter 23

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I cleaned my wet face with a towel slowly, and then threw it on my shoulders, walking as fast as I could into the big kitchen with my eyes staring into my phone, a huge smile finding its way on my face. I was always that way, all the time I talked to her. All the time I talked to Kora. Thank God we got to talk again after such a long time. I guess she needed all the time she could get to heal from all that had happened between her and that boyfriend she always talked about. Crazy how she never really told me what happened between them, even after so much time had gone. I didn't want to ask her to. There was no point bringing up the past anymore.

She was typing.
Why was she taking so long anyway?

"Basically, I've come to a conclusion that this country is not for me. I'd do anything to get a green card at this point, and let's not talk about this really crazy weather. It's so hot and annoying."

Reading Kora complain about a lot of things somehow made me chuckle faintly. I loved talking to her, much more than I had expected. I pulled out a chair from the counter and sat comfortably in it.

"How hard is it to get a green card anyway?"

"Trust me," I texted back "There's really nothing great about living in the states or anywhere else. Life's going to be the same no matter where you go."

"😫"

"But anyway, I have a green card just in case you'd like to share." I chuckled. Now I was just being corny. Or was I?

"Stop playing with me 😂. But really, how can you prefer to be back here than over there?"

'Because this is my home? Because everyone I love and care about are right here, and I've been away from them for so long. Because I'd rather stay here forever than go back there and be all alone again.'

I wanted to tell her all that so much. I wanted to tell her who I really was, but a part of me just wanted to hold back. I mean, I trusted her. But I just didn't trust how she was going to react if she knew how I became who I am. If anyone knew everything.

"I mean," I continued. "I don't get the fuss about this country everyone's complaining of. So far so good, everything has been Aiit ."

"That's because you're a rich kid living in the suburbs of the federal capital territory of Nigeria. Tell that to the remaining eight percent  of Nigerians that don't have it as easy as you do."

"Lmao. We do. You're rich too."

"No, that's my stepfather, not me. But don't be surprised when I take you up on that green card offer real soon."

"😂 I'll keep that in mind." I took a long sip from my bottle of water.

"Do you ever feel like you just need to sleep one day and wake up the next in a place where no one knows you, and you don't remember anything about your life?"