Chapter 2 - Your friend is quite the heavy sleeper

Evie sipped her bottled water to distract herself and hide her obvious discomfort. Melanie had met up with her before classes started, causing her usual morning serenity to vanish with a single slip of paper.

Melanie was leaning forward in anticipation. "Well?.."

Evie set aside her water and quickly composed herself. She straightened her back and faced the pushy blonde. "No thank you, Melanie."

Melanie groaned at her response. "For the millionth time, call me Mel." She waved the invitation to Josh's party in front of her face. "Come on Evez! It will be fun."

"And for the millionth time, please call me Evie," she retorted with a smile.

"Just think about it. I'll be there and so will that hottie, Chris." Melanie casually points towards a small group of men who were walking across the grounds. "The tall, blonde one," she confirms.

Evie's eyes follow where Melanie is pointing and land on a man she recognised. He was chatting with his friends and glancing in their direction.

Melanie grinned. "Now don't try and pretend you haven't noticed him. He always goes out of his way to speak to you."

She nodded. "He occasionally helps me carry my painting equipment."

"Well," Melanie clucked. "My sources tell me that, Chris, really likes you."

Evie adjusted her glasses. "Oh."

Her friend's blue eyes widened. Evie could tell she was getting excited.

"Are you interested?" she prodded.

Evie grabbed her bottle of water and took a comforting sip. She once again composed herself.

"Maybe," she lied.

Melanie's face lit up. "That isn't a no. So does that mean you'll come to the party?"

She sighed. "Also a maybe."

"I hope you decide to come," Melanie admitted, as she bounced to her feet.

Evie smiled at her as she gathered her belongings and headed for class. She watched as various students turned their heads and watched Melanie leave.

She laughed to herself at the sight. Melanie was a gorgeous 21-year-old dancer who was studying Performing Arts. Her long blonde hair, tanned skin and perfect curves caused her to receive a lot of attention from the men on campus. Too bad for them, Melanie only had eyes for her boyfriend Josh.

Gathering her belongings, Evie headed for her Art history class. Before walking inside, she stopped and tilted her head back to admire the gentle swaying of the oak tree.

.....

Branton watched from the window as a natural smile spread across her glossy lips. He smiled at his gorgeous girl.

Her long ebony hair was blowing in the wind, like some model from a hair commercial. She had her hand raised to shield her face from the sun, but he could still see her soft green eyes.

He frowned in frustration. If only she would remove her glasses so he could see her whole face clearer. He supposed it didn't matter, in a few hours she would never again wear those hideous things.

He would not allow it.

.....

Evie glided her paintbrush expertly over the small canvas. After adding the final touches to her work, she gratefully put down her paintbrush and stretched her stiff muscles.

She had barely managed to fend off Melanie's attempts to drag her to Josh's party. The only reason Melanie had left without her, was the excuse that her current assignment was due tomorrow.

She glanced at the dress her roommate had picked out for her, especially for tonight.

The dress was made of white cotton with lace on the sleeves and hem. Melanie had even picked out a pair of tan wedges to compliment the dress.

She loved the outfit and felt extremely guilty for letting down her only friend. She wanted nothing more than to make Melanie happy, but she was afraid her social awkwardness might ruin the night.

Evie found herself approaching the bed and picking up the dress that had been laid out for her. She removed her shorts and tank top and slipped into the dress and wedges.

Adjusting her glasses, she smiled at her reflection. While turning to view the back of her dress, her cell phone beeped.

Hey Evez, Josh and I had a huge fight because he is a giant asshole!
I'm so sorry to ask you to do this, but could you please bring me some money for the taxi? I'm right outside campus.
Mel x

She frowned as she read the message. It was unlike the happy couple to argue.

She texted her back telling her she would be there soon. She grabbed some cash and her handbag before heading out the door.

At 1:00 am the campus grounds were deserted. She followed the path that lead off campus, making sure to avoid the security booth stationed at the entrance.

The secret exit was known to most of the students who had a habit of breaking curfew. She had never used it herself, but she knew where it was located. Moving at a quick pace she made sure she kept to the shadows.

Slipping through the hedges, she squeezed through a gap in the fence. She scanned the area, relieved that the road was clear. She pulled out her phone and texted Melanie.

She froze at the sound of a loud beep, followed by the rustling of leaves.

Squeezing her handbag anxiously, her head turned towards the noise. She took a cautious step backwards and felt her muscles tense as her adrenalin kicked in.

The tall silhouette of a man slowly stepped onto the footpath. As the street lights illuminated the features of a familiar man, she breathed a brief sigh of relief.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Branton apologised with a smile. "I saw you sneak off campus."

She took a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself, her heart was still beating frantically.

"You scared me, Mr Mitchels," she panted.

He raised his hands to help reassure her. "I apologise, that wasn't my intention."

Her eyes drifted to his pocket, where she could see the faint glow from a cell phone. Branton's eyes followed her own and he placed a hand in his pocket, shielding the glow.

"You know Evie," he started, "You should know better than to leave the grounds after curfew."

Her heart continued to race as she stared down at her cell phone, quickly hitting the call button.

"Allow me to escort you back to-" 

He was cut off as Melanie's personalised ringtone blared from his pocket.

Her eyes widened in fear. "How did you get Melanie's phone?"

Sighing loudly he shook his head. "Such an intelligent girl. I shouldn't have been so careless." He reached into his pocket and retrieved her roommate's cell phone. "What I should say, is that I found it, but I'll never lie to you again." His hazel eyes bore into her own. "It was rather easy. Your friend is quite the heavy sleeper."

His answer sent a chill down her spine.

He had broken into their dorm room.

"Why?" Her mind was screaming at her to run, but her body refused to cooperate.

"Because my sweet, Evie." Branton smiled as he closed the distance between them. "I needed a way to lure you off campus."

She shook her head in disbelief. "Why?"

Placing his index finger under her chin he gently lifted her face. "It's simple," he replied while leaning forward.

She shivered at the feeling of his warm breath on her neck as he whispered in her ear, "You're mine."