CHAPTER 36b

A/N: Not Edited.

This chapter….  hard.

Chapter 36b – Chris POV

“She – how did she or any of them survive?” I asked no one, myself, Logan, Lucy even my mom, my voice dazed. The things she named to avoid, that was – those things you see without even batting an eyelash much less think to avoid them.

“Rainy held on for one of you – she said she didn’t bring the outside in. she didn’t want him to taint her memories of your – everything else he used against her, sullied it. She refused to let him sully you two,” Mom said thoughtfully and hope bubbled in my chest.

“In case we found them one day…” Logan said looking at what I was, the children cuddled up and safe but much too restless. Sarah, Hannah and Lily curled up together on one of the larger wall beds, each holding onto their plush – toddler sized – wolves.

In the far corner I could hear Michelle making gurgling noises, but her lack of crying kept me still. I glanced down at Lucy; she was uncharacteristically – for her – quiet, haunted.

“You okay Luce?” It was a stupid question given what we just heard but there wasn’t much more I could ask.

“She blames herself,” She responded, not at all what I was expecting though, but I nodded agreeing anyways. I heard her words murmured. I felt it which was bad enough, but for a moment Rainy hadn’t blocked her thoughts form me as her mate, and she shared that visual with me, a glimpse of her nightmare.

A wave of anguish ran over me. It was too much, too fast unexpectedly and I was thankful for the wall I had already sagged on. I inhaled deeply, making sure my legs remained planted, my knees buckled, and I released the breath I took.

I don’t dare look at Logan right now, not sure anyone could help him other than his mate. No one spoke, mom nor Lucy left and I wanted to know what they were thinking, if this was all too much too handle. It wouldn’t be as easy as they might be thinking now. Not at all. A cell phone ring, breaks through my thoughts and the silence around us, we all turn to Logan who answers immediately, thankfully not waking the children. Ignoring him I went to what really mattered, the children.

“Get the fuck out!” he said after listening, and I focused on Logan, the phone call but all I heard was the person telling him ‘Nope just wanted to tell you,’ and Logan ended the call. His face stunned. I face him, waiting expectantly curious to see if this was about Rainy.

“Someone ousted shape shifters it’s all over the news…” How… what the hell was going on here? I was so shocked; my mouth opened three times only to shut right back up again three times.

“How is this being handled?” Mom asked clearly more level headed than I was at this point. It was a big deal but not compared to my life now. The Elders would probably fuck this up or stand by and do nothing; they had a real gift for that.

Turning back to the babies listening to their heartbeats, sighs and even a few grunts of restless sleeping, one heartbeat was beating erratically. Zeroing in, I knew it was Kayla, pushing off the wall I went to her side, looking at her machines, unsure and assuming that she’s in pain I give her another dose of morphine. I stand waiting for her numbers to regulate but that never comes, instead Kayla begins panting and I hear the telltale sign of a shift starting. One of Kayla’s bones breaks just snaps on its own, her eyes snap open, her mouth as well and I expect a scream to come but it doesn’t. Her eyes widen and instead of sound falling from her lips, she closes her mouth and bites down on her lips. When I reach for her she flinches, “I’ll get your momma,” I say before walking backwards, knocking into my mother and Luce in my haste to get Rainy.