Prologue

The Scrubb family had been hosting the likes of two Pevensies for the last few fortnights. Harold and Alberta, the heads of the family, had been nothing but apathetic to the presence of their niece and nephew, and their time was consumed with the impending situation of the war. Their children, (Name) and Eustace, were their pride and joy. For the most part.

Their eldest, (Name), worked tirelessly for her father's company. The majority of her hours were spent holed up in her bedroom as she worked on the details of the next contract or in her father's office where she hoped to gather the praise of his attentions.

(Name)'s younger brother Eustace was much more engaged in irritating her than she would have liked. She loved him, as any sister would, but his presence tended to be more annoying than she'd cared to admit.

The arrival of (Name) and Eustace's cousins brought mixed reactions: (Name) was quite pleased to have some of her extended family staying, whereas her younger brother was everything but.

Lucy and (Name), as expected of Edmund, got on like a bumblebee in a flower-shop. As busy as (Name) was, Lucy was intent on helping her, even if the only help she could provide was company.

Unlike the two girls, the boys clashed terribly. Eustace's personality brought frustration, due to his uptight nature and pretentious diction. To put it lightly, Edmund thought he was a snob.

This afternoon, for example, after the Pevensie siblings came back from town, the two boys got into a bit of a spat upstairs.

(Name) and Lucy, who had been in the midst of prepping soup for supper and gossiping about Susan's potential love-life, had been brought into the girls' room to read Susan's most recent letter.

The siblings talked amongst themselves, and (Name) found herself gazing idly at the painting hanging on the wall across from her position sitting on the bed. Edmund had taken notice of the artwork as well, asking his sister to come take a look at it closely.

"It's very Narnian-looking, isn't it?" Lucy asked her brother.

"Yeah. Just another reminder we're here and not there," Edmund commented, failing to pull their cousin out of her thoughts. (Name)'s brother, however, did.

"There once were two orphans who wasted their time believing in Narnian nursery rhymes."

"Oh, shut up, Eustace. Don't be rude." (Name) gave her brother a stiff look. He ignored her.

"Please let me hit him..." Edmund grumbled to his sister. Lucy told him off immediately, and (Name) chuckled, used to the bickering of siblings by now. Eustace came to sit next to his sister, hiding behind her larger frame slightly.

(Name) turned her attentions back to the painting, bathing in the calm feeling that washed over her as she basked in the intricate details of the surf. Her family spoke amongst each other around her, but she got lost in the colours. She could've sworn those waves weren't as rolling before. And was the ship bigger than before?

The voices grew louder around her, but all (Name) did was stand from her place on the bed and make her way over to the painting. Lucy came and joined (Name). She had noticed something strange about it, as well, and now she began calling to her older brother. "Edmund, it looks like the water is actually moving."

Eustace cringed. "What rubbish! See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairy tales of yours." The elder boy squared his shoulders, a sneer stretching across his features. He countered with a rhyme that riled up his cousin even more. Their sisters were no longer bothered by their quarrelling, more-so by the ever moving water on the canvas. A dribble of water fell out of the frame.