Chapter 13

A few weeks later, Amber was in her room. It had been three weeks since the incident with James. Both Amber and Bella were home from the hospital. It was the night of Prom and Bella was getting ready. Amber wasn't going. Because of her illness, it was taking her a little longer to heal than Bella. Carlisle and Charlie both thought it would be better if she didn't go.

"I can stay home, if you want me to." Bella said. "I don't have to go. I honestly don't even want to go. Edward is making me go."

"Go." Amber said. "Have fun."

"Ok." Bella said. She went over to Amber and hugged her before walking out of the room.

Amber started to pack a bag. She was going to hangout with Jasper while the rest of them were at the dance and then she and Bella were having a sleepover with Rosalie and Alice. Amber heard Edward and Bella get in Edward's car and drive away.

"I'm sorry you can't go to the dance tonight." Charlie said as he came into the room. "With you still getting over what happened, it's better if you didn't end up getting sick on top of it."

"It's fine." Amber said.

"Are you sure you're ok to sleep over at the Cullens tonight?" Charlie asked.

"Dad I'll be fine. I'll bring my medication with me." Amber said. "Plus, Carlisle will be there to make sure I'm ok."

"Ok." Charlie said.

Amber saw Carlisle's black Mercedes pull up and Jasper get out. "Looks like Jasper's here." She said as she picked up her bag and walked downstairs with Charlie following. He opened the door and Jasper stepped in.

"Hello, Chief Swan." Jasper greeted him.

"Jasper." Charlie said.

"Ready to go, Amber?" Jasper asked as he looked at Amber.

"Yeah." Amber said.

"Here. I can take that for you." Jasper said, taking her bag.

"Thanks." Amber said. "Bye Dad."

"Bye." Charlie said. "Have fun."

"Would you like some help getting to the car?" Jasper asked. Amber looked down at the boot on her leg.

"Yes please." She said. Jasper helped Amber out of the house and to the car. They got in and Jasper drove off. When they got to the house, Jasper helped Amber out of the car and they walked inside.

"Hello Amber." Esme and Carlisle greeted her.

"It's good to see you again, dear." Esme said.

"You guys too." Amber said.

"I hope you're hungry." Esme said. "I made dinner for you."

"Thank you, Esme." Amber said.

A little bit later after Amber had eaten, she was sitting on the couch in the living room with Jasper. "I feel bad that you didn't go to the dance because of me." Amber said.

"Don't feel bad. I wanted to spend the evening with you. Plus, I don't need to go to another dance." Jasper said. "It's you that I feel bad for. I've been to many dances over the years, but this was you're only chance to go to Prom."

"It's not that big of a deal. I never really cared much for dances." Amber said. "Plus, I still have next year to go." Jasper nodded. "Can I ask you something?" Amber asked.

"Go ahead." Jasper said.

"Why did you have Carlisle save me?" Amber asked. "Why didn't you let the venom spread?"

"Because I didn't want you to become a vampire." Jasper said.

"Why?" Amber said. "I could be like you."

"You don't want to be like us." Jasper said. "You shouldn't just throw your human life away."

"It's not much of a life when you're sick and dying." Amber said. "If I was a vampire, would my cancer go away?"

"Yes." Jasper said. "But Amber, this isn't a life you want live."

"I'm already living a life I don't want to live. Do you think I want to have cancer?" Amber said. "At least if I was a vampire, I wouldn't be sick anymore."

"I can't change you without killing you." Jasper said.

"I understand that." Amber said. "But Carlisle could."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore." Jasper said. Amber sighed. "Let's watch a movie." Jasper said, changing the subject. "You can choose any movie."

"Even a chick flick?" Amber asked.

"Yes. Even a chick flick." Jasper said. Amber went over to their movie cabinet and looked through it. She picked out Grease. Amber went back over to the couch as Jasper put the movie in. She cuddled up to him as he started the movie.

Later that evening, the rest of them came back from the dance. "Hi Amber." Alice greeted her.

"How was the dance?" Amber asked.

"It was a little boring." Rosalie said. "But we missed you."

"Tell me about it." Amber said. They spent the rest of the evening talking about the dance.