Chapter One

Caspian's warm welcome onto the Dawn Treader had put (Name)'s uncertainties behind her, and after a few days of sailing, she and her brother had gotten used to the perpetual swaying and tipping of the ship. This morning, for example, Eustace had finally been able to come above deck, after the unfortunate incidence of him falling unconscious the first day. (Name), as any caring big sister would, had been tending to his sickness up until then, and she was pleased to see him awake with less of a green tinge to his cheeks.

"Morning, (Name)!" Lucy called out. She had adjusted well to sea-life, and now donned a similar style to the rest of the ship's inhabitants. That morning, she and her brother had been talking with the king and the captain in his quarters, discussing 'important business.'

(Name) greeted her with a warm smile. "Hello, Lucy." She toed her way through the barrels of empty cargo, skirting around a crowd circling the captain's quarters. "Has Edmund finally questioned authority or is he sparring with the King just for the sake of it?" (Name) asked, referring to the clatter of steel between her cousin and the man in charge.

Lucy giggled, entertained by the thought that her brother would be challenging Caspian. "Just a friendly spar." They watched the pair from afar, the tall figures of some of the crew occasionally obscuring their vision. "Didn't you used to fence in grade school, (Name)?"

"'Used to'? Lu, what made you think I stopped?" A sly grin pulled at (Name)'s delicate features. Lucy, now giddy, had a wicked thought.

"Do you think you could... challenge one of the boys for me please?" Lucy bat her eyelashes pleadingly. "I'll get you some proper trousers so you can change out of your skirt.

"You will do nothing of the sort. I'm not having my sister be injured by one of these ruffians." (Name) snorted loudly, bringing an embarrassed hand to cover her mouth.

"Well, good morning to you, too, Eustace. I presume you're feeling better." Crossing his arms, he pouted, a firm line digging its way between his arched brows. (Name) giggled at his dramatics.

"Yes, thank you. No thanks to anyone else, though," The boy grumbled.

Reepicheep, who happened to be swinging casually from some ropes nearby, dropped down onto a barrel next to (Name). "As effervescent as ever, I see. Find your sea legs?" He teased.

Eustace paled slightly, his shoulders stiffening. "Never lost them." (Name) let out a singular hearty laugh. Eustace glared at her, stuttering out his defence: "Simply dealing with the shock of things! Mother says I have an acute disposition, due to my intelligence—"

Edmund, who had been drinking some water and leaning on the banister next to (Name) choked on his drink. Lucy and (Name) held back a laugh as (Name) pat Edmund's back gently to help expel any excess water lingering in her cousin's lungs.

"I don't think he has 'a cute' anything," Reepicheep teased. A bright grin blossomed on (Name)'s face, entertained by the joke towards her brother. It was pleasant to have other people teasing her brother for a change.

The tease was not taken nicely by Eustace, though. "I'll have you know—"

"Here we go..." (Name) sighed. Eustace got up walking away from them, clearly not looking where he was going.

"—as soon as we find civilisation, I'm contacting the British Consul. Have you all arrested for kidnapping." He bumped into Caspian.

"Kidnapping, is it? That's funny. I thought we saved your life." Caspian rose a brow, a smile never leaving his face.

Eustace sputtered: "You held me against my will!" Reepicheep let out a sarcastic laugh. "In, what I must say, are the most unhygienic quarters. It's like a zoo down there."