Chapter 67: She will be okay

5 months later

-Heather's POV

"We will miss you Miss Heather!" 

I smile down at all the children in my class. The past few months have flown by. I have grown greatly in size. I can barely stand on my feet for more than an hour at a time without them swelling. I open my arms and feel multiple small arms embrace me. I smile adoringly at them. 

"Don't squish them!" 

I giggle and look over to see Luca glaring at the students. They are quick to release me looking at my stomach worriedly. Throughout the pregnancy, they have had plenty of questions which I was glad to explain most of them. 

"It's okay lil man... This is my last day with all you students so I want you to remember to be on your best behavior until I return." 

I see all them nod their heads while grinning. The bell goes off and the students scramble to get to their bags. I reach my arms out as George helps me to stand. I will never admit it to Xavier but I am so glad to have had him throughout this pregnancy. George always tells me how lucky he is to be with me all day long which I usually just giggle at. Xavier said he will keep him at the office until I am ready to return to work, IF I want to return. We are still disagreeing on that conversation. 

The students line up and I give each of them once last hug getting misty eyed realizing I won't get to see these students again. By the time I come back, it will be for next years lessons which means they will move on to first grade. George helps gather my bags as the last student leaves before Luca comes up taking my hand. I wobble out with him waving goodbye to the Dean on my way out. 

I look up seeing the familiar black SUV but to my disappointment, Leo steps out of the driver's seat. I give him a small smile thinking Xavier was going to be here. Leo sees my face fall and gives me a pitiful smile in return.

"Xavier sent me to pick you up. His meeting was running late and he sends his apologies." 

I nod my head as Luca shakes my hand giving me a reassuring smile. I smile down at him and shake my head while Leo opens the back door. Luca gets in first followed by me. He then takes my hand holding it tightly. George gets in the passenger seat beside Leo. 

"All set back there?"

I make sure Luca is buckled before nodding to him in the rear-view mirror. He nods and pulls out of the school. Luca begins playing thumb war with me on the way. I let him win and watch as he gets excited making me happy. He yells YES and throws his hands up making me giggle. I hear chuckling from the front to see both Leo and George grinning. 

My sight notices an SUV heading towards us that begins to swerve. The next few actions seem to fly by. Leo sees the SUV heading towards us and attempts to swerve. I see the driver is collapsed on the steering wheel in the other vehicle and it looses all control. Leo slams on the brakes. I lunge throwing my body over Luca's cocooning him. I feel the collision hit throwing me forward making my head hit on a window making it shatter. I feel we have stopped moving however I hear a horn blaring. My vision is blurry but I try to focus to see Luca. He is frantically trying to undo his seat belt looking at me yelling something. I can't seem to focus on anything. I feel something dripping on my forehead. I close my eyes and try to reopen but my sight getting worse. I finally hear Luca shout but can't seem to stay awake. I feel myself loose consciousness and allow my body fall into the darkness. My last thoughts knowing he is okay. 

-Xavier's POV

I am PISSED. It is Heather's last day of teaching and I wanted to be there to pick her up to take her out to eat. The last few months have flown by and she has grown greatly in size. It has been incredible to watch but the bigger she got, the more worried I have become. I was so pleased when the doctor order her to bed rest the final month. Due to her petite size, it was a concern that she may deliver early if she was moving around too much. She agreed for the sake of the babies. 

"That's enough."

All heads snap to me and all discussion ceases. I rub my temples trying to refrain from firing them all for wasting my time. I sigh deeply. 

"This meeting is over. Leave." 

Just like that, they all scramble to leave. Theo stays seated giving me a knowing smirk. I roll my eyes and am about to retort when the door is flung open by a frantic looking Andrew. 

"Sir your wife and son have been in a car accident. They are on their way to the hospital now." 

Just like that, my blood runs cold... my breathing stops and my heart beat skips a beat. I feel my face drain of all color. I try to breath and find it hard. Thank god, Theo seemed to be able to function. He is quick to pull me up ushering me into the elevator telling Andrew to handle everything. We get in and he calls someone to pull the car around. A sense of deja vu washes over me remembering almost a year ago when I went for Luca. 

We quickly get in the car where Theo speeds to the emergency room. My mind racing with the thoughts that I should have been there with them. I shouldn't have continued the meeting. We get there and I sprint out racing through the ER doors. George is standing there pacing back and forth. He sees me and stops abruptly looking at me. 

"Are they okay? What happened?! Where are they?!?" My mind firing all questions rapidly in one breath. 

"Room 121." He begins walking briskly with Theo and me following. "A drunk driver lost consciousness hitting us head on. Leo has a concussion and a broken leg. Luca has a bruise from the seatbelt but otherwise is fine."

I take a moment digesting the information before I realize...

"And Heather?"

His hand that was reaching for the handle to the room haults and he slowly turns around. My heart-beat accelerating astronomically. He clears his throat and continues. 

"Heather lunged infront of Luca to protect him. She took the full blow of the accident. She hit her head on the window shattering it. I- I haven't been updated yet..." 

I brace myself on the wall feeling all the oxygen escape my lungs as Theo clamps my shoulder holding me firmly. I begin feeling all my emotions take control of me as I feel the tears swell and fall down my cheeks. I take a moment up against the wall taking deep breaths before going in. 

After I collect myself, George opens the door ushering me in. Luca who was sitting beside Leo on the bed sees me and abruptly gets off the bed racing over to me. I kneel down gathering him in my arms pulling him firmly to my chest. I stand up hugging him tightly as I feel myself once again break down. I take deep breaths as the tears cascade out racing down my cheeks. He is safe. Heather saved him. I once again feel so grateful for the woman I have come to cherish. She has shown time and time again how much Luca means to her. I open my eyes to see Leo giving me a fallen smile. I grip his shoulder to reassure him. I know he feels guilty. I feel guilty. I should have been there. 

"Heather Sanford?"

My head snaps back hearing someone hollering her name outside. I quickly walk to the nurse holding a clip board. 

"I'm her husband." 

She looks up giving me a smile. She reads from her clip board. 

"She is out of her first surgery. She sustained bleeding on her brain. We were able to relieve the pressure and she is now in intensive care. She will be heading into her next surgery in the next few minutes." 

"What is the next surgery?"

"Due to the stress from the accident, she has went into labor. The babies are fine but we need to get them out to monitor them." 

My babies are coming now? It's too soon. I hold Luca more tightly trying to calm myself. I nod myself at the news as the nurse pats my back before taking off again. 

I walk back slowly to Leo's room where they are all waiting with a pleading look. I explain what they told me and they still look as worried as me. I sit down still holding Luca firmly to me. She will be okay. She will be okay... I continue to tell myself trying to ease my mind. 

She will be okay...