5 - The First Four

Grian refused to use his newfound magic.

He hated it. He absolutely hated it. It was a remainder of the Watchers, and now every time he thought about them he wanted to strangle each of them one by one. They had destroyed Evo and sent him to this new world.

But this world wasn't so bad.

Maybe this was the Watchers' idea of a sick joke. Like, letting him know that they were still with him. You can never escape from the Watchers! Muahahahaha!

He didn't hate the ice princess for finding out first. Really, it was the Watchers to blame. Plus, Stress was nice.

Her bodyguard, on the other hand...

Wels wasn't bad or anything. He just didn't want to be in this world. Grian thought he was still in denial about what happened to their old kingdom.

X tried his best to understand Wels. Stress had already established a good friendship with him. Grian was wary, but he tried to be nice.

The first few nights as a group of four were the hardest.

X was so surprised by the amount of monsters that appeared at nighttime. He kept on asking Grian what they were. Grian knew he was just trying to figure out this world better, but it was still slightly annoying.

"What's that green guy with the blue shirt?"

"Why is that one made of bones?"

"Okay, okay, why in the world is that eight-legged creature that big?"

Wels, despite the obvious fact that Stress could defend herself easily in battle, took it upon himself to protect her at even the smallest things. A chicken came up behind them and Wels almost skewered the poor thing.

Out of all of them, Wels was the only one who had a weapon. Sure, Stress had her ice powers, but that did no good against that one baby zombie who ran like the Flash. When she finally caught the monster, everything in the near vicinity was covered in frost.

X could only stand back and watch in horrified fascination as Wels and Stress engaged battle with the zombie and skeletons. Grian could probably bend reality and knock out all the monsters without blinking, but he didn't want to. It reminded him too much of Evo. There was no way he was going to use those powers.

Stress laughed as she blasted ice from her fingers. She was fun-loving and carefree and genuinely seemed to be having fun despite the dangers. Wels fought in a more uniform way, more seriously.

Grian took out a stone sword he had crafted the other day, in between meeting Stress and Wels and X's questions about the Overworld. It was terrible. Wels's diamond one was way better. But, since he refused to use Watcher magic, this was the best he could do.

"X, make yourself useful! Build us a dirt hut or something!"

X looked around, confused. He pointed to a tree. "Um...is this dirt?"

Grian pointed to the ground in irritation. "This is dirt! Build a house! We need shelter!"

His hands flickered with a purple glow. Grian tampered down his annoyance as best as he could. Apparently his emotions could trigger the magic, too. Yet another reason to be mad at the Watchers.

"Why don't you just use the magic?" Wels asked as he tried to catch a spider. "I heard it's really powerful."

"It is!" Stress chimed in. "It can bend reality itself. To a certain degree, of course."

Wels perked up. "Bend reality, you say..."

Grian knew what he was thinking. "Wels, honestly. If I could and wanted to, I would make a portal that would take us all to where we were before. But the ice kingdom, as you said, is in ashes. My world"--he choked up a bit--"is gone, too. The End, where X came from, is unstable and deadly."