- PART 24 -

DEAN

DEAN

~

I WAS JUST TRYING to go to the kitchens for food. I had fallen asleep in the library, missing two of my classes in the process. Rather than face my Professors, I thought the path of least resistance would involve the House Elves. Instead, I got bombarded by an injured Fourth Year.

Nearly bumping into a teary-eyed girl, I frowned down at her. "What the fuck happened to your hands?"

The girl's hands were starting to swell and grow red, blood and pus spilling from little cracks on her palms. "It's bo— bo—  "

"Bobotuber pus?" I asked, annoyed by her crying. The Fourth Year nodded, fighting a whimper.

I sighed, pursing my lips. The Hospital Wing was on the other side of the castle— by the time she got there, her hands would probably pop. Gripping her elbow, I made a decision.

"Come on, I'll . . . help."

__

He made quick work once they reached the empty closet he'd claimed for myself— running a finger over the dusty labels as she searched for the right one. BobotuberA. Bingo.

Tossing the lid away, the stranger dipped two fingers inside the gel-like paste, scooping a decent-sized glob and smearing it on Hermione's palms. After a second, the injured girl sighed in relief, a few tears falling down her cheeks. The mystery healer grabbed a clean brush from another shelf and used it to apply more on her hands, placing everything back in its correct space afterward.

"Thank you," She said after a moment, watching as the boy proceeded to wrap her hands in cloth. "I'm— "

"Hermione Granger— Fourth Year and apparent lover of Harry Potter." He snorted, shaking his head. "I'm Dean. We've been in the same classes for four years."

"Oh . . . I'm sorry, I must've forgotten— "

"It's fine. People tend to pay more attention to my uncle than me."

"Your uncle?"

The boy shook his head as he laughed. "Maybe I should have been more clear— my name is Dean Lupin. I think you know my uncle Remus."

With the way he acted, Dean looked somewhat familiar to Hermione. And there was something about his eyes . . .

She was creeped out— to say the least. The boy seemed agitated by her presence, like he was uncomfortable with her existence.

Pushing the door open, she offered a quick thank you, intending on running far away from the strange boy.

"Hey— wait," He suddenly called, stumbling after her. Shaggy black hair fell in his eyes as he followed her into the hall, shoving a tin towards her. "Uh, here. The swelling should be gone by tomorrow."

"I— . . . er, thanks." Hermione took the tin with careful hands, nodding to the boy. "I guess I'll see you in class . . . Dean."

__

A/N: Extremely short chapter, I know. This is actually the last chapter in this Act, we'll have one last act in this book and then I'll get to work on a sequel. Please comment any suggestions or spelling errors— I appreciate it! Wordcount around 530, I'll try to make the next one extra long to make up for it. Also, what House do you think Dean is in/should be in?