Chapter Three

// Content Warning: Some scenes within this chapter may make some readers uncomfortable. If you are not okay with reading possibly triggering content, please do not read this chapter. It involves themes relating to familial abuse. This chapter is long, and the majority of it is not involved in such content; however, do not feel compelled to read if you are not comfortable with it. Thank you <3 \\

The following weeks aboard the Dawn Treader were exhausting. Storm after storm whipped their worst against the beaten hull of the ship, and the morale of the crew and guests fell with every drop of rain. Nearly everyone spent the majority of their waking hours battling the wind and wreckage brought by the tempest, and (Name) had her fair share out on the deck, drenched to the bone trying to tighten the ropes binding the mast to the ship or bandaging the roughened hands of injured crew members.

Despite the protests of her cousins and brother, (Name) made sure that she was providing help in every way possible.

That was until Caspian pulled her into the captain's quarters, threw a towel at her, and told her to make herself warm whilst he, Edmund, and Drinian discussed matters of the journey.

"So, we're stuck here," Drinian started, slamming his hand down on the map adorning the central table. "At half-rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, Your Majesties."

(Name) tuned out their bickering, finding the waves tumbling over themselves more interesting. There seemed no end to the darkened sky, and every clap of thunder seemed to rumble over itself in a constant thrum. The men argued for a few moments more, and once it had ceased, (Name) felt the cushion next to her shift. She had felt this presence often enough to know of whom it was.

"Edmund truly likes the idea of encountering a sea serpent, doesn't he?" She asked, earning an extinguished laugh in response. "Shouldn't you be readying for bed? I can only fathom how tired you must be—"

"As if you haven't been hard at work, either?" Caspian asked incredulously. "I think you can 'fathom' my exhaustion just as well." He handed her a shallow glass of water, the majority of its contents accidentally spilled somewhere on its way to the cabin. "Look at you! Your eyes are drooping as I speak." Caspian stood up suddenly, yanking her form with him.

"I am not tired! I was just resting my eyes whilst you talked about..." Caspian rose a brow. "Something... Alright, fine. I am tired. However, I will not be resting until you do, since that is only fair." Caspian chuckled at her drowsiness fondly.

"Come on then, love."

~~~

As strong as the pull of sleep had grasped onto (Name) earlier in the evening, it released her the moment her body had curled up in her hammock. Cursing quietly, she found solace in reading one of the novels she had borrowed from Lucy. Eventually, her eyes began drifting closed, but the quiet call of her name kept her awake. She sat up, trying to gain an inkling of balance in the swaying of her hammock.

Her father stood next to her, a grimace creeping along his mouth. He sneered harshly. "What are you doing? Are you not trying?" (Name) was taken aback, stuttering over her words as she tried to form a valuable excuse.

"What do you mean? I— I've been working day and night. Have I not done what you wanted—"

"You impudent girl! You never do anything right! All of your work is terrible, and your legacy is shameful! You should be engaged at your age, and you haven't so much as given a single glance to any suitor! What is wrong with you?" Her father chastised. (Name) cowered under his criticisms, pulling her hands across her face to rid her cheeks of the evidence of her tears. "Your brother should be ashamed to have such a half-witted girl as his sister!" Her heart seared in pain, the ache physically wounding her as she fought back the verbal attacks.