𝐎𝐍𝐄.

𝐓𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐀, 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀April 10th

𝐓𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐀, 𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐀
April 10th

"Thank you Mr. Charles," I smiled as he handed me over my chips and lemonade from the counter. He smiled back and nodded briefly before yelling at his son to get the hell off his phone, making me laugh to myself. I exited the corner store, popping my lemonade open and taking a swig to combat the intense Tampa sun that was blazing down on me.

"Hey Lucky," I heard a voice call as I walked. I just gave a small smile and waved, as I usually did. This is a small ass neighborhood and everybody been knowing me since I was a kid. The routine was the same, I went to Mr. Charles' shop, walked back to my apartment and get ready for work.

When I got to my building, I stuck my key in the old lock, sighing as it wouldn't glide open like a regular door. This old ass raggedly ass building was breaking down and the landlord refused to do anything about it, I'm basically paying rent to fund somebody's cigarette and drug habit.

I slammed my shoulder against the door and stumbled over my feet into my small studio apartment. Sighing, I did a once over to make sure everything was in place before I started on my shower. I knew from habit I only had about 10 minutes of hot water so I got myself in and out quickly.

Looking over myself in the mirror I could visibly see the exhaustion in my own eyes. It was killing me to work all these doubles, day to day, back to back, but I was barely getting by as it is, I needed all the money I could get.

Before my thoughts could take me too far, my phone started buzzing from the bedroom. I went and grabbed it, picking up a call from my manager.

"Hello?" I answered, putting it on speaker so I could shimmy some undergarments on and begin to lotion up.

"Lucky? You coming in now or later on?"

"Now, Mr. Ricky. I'm taking Tabatha's shift remember?" I reminded him.

"You sure dear? You just worked 13 hours yesterday. I can call Tabatha's lazy tail back up here, na'. She ain't doin' nothin', believe me," he grumbled. I chuckled to myself, he was always complaining about her, but he wouldn't fire her because she was his granddaughter.

"It's okay, Mr. Ricky, rent is still due next week," I assured him.

"Well alright, dear. I'll see ya' soon, you be safe,"

"Thank you sir, I will," I smiled before hanging up. He was really a sweet old man, that's the reason I'd been working for him since I graduated high school. I'm gonna be 20 soon, and I know he'd take care of me until I could find a way to provide for myself better. Ever since mama died, he and Mr. Charles had watched out for me. They made sure I was always fed, they even came to visit me in the foster home till I aged out. They were like my dad's in their own way.