Chapter 18: A Good Idea?

I WAS SUPPOSED TO LOOK MY BEST TODAY but I got the opposite. My supposed to be beauty rest turned out as a whole night of tossing and turning. I didn't sleep a wink!

"Damn it." I muttered as the hair comb got tangled on my hair. Of all the days to have a bad hair, ba't ngayon pa? At dahil sa kaba ko kagabi, I didn't get any sleep.

I heard a knock on the door and two handmaidens entered the room. One of them is bringing a box. Mas lalong lumala ang kaba ko knowing that inside that box is a dress I'll be wearing today with my meeting with the King.

One of the handmaidens must have realized my struggle with my hair dahil dali-dali itong lumapit sa'kin and picked the brush I tossed in the table. She gently arranged my hair without any word. I am too nervous to talk either.

"I am sure the King will be fond of you, Lady Liliana."

Napatingin ako sa mukha niya sa salamin. She's focused on my hair. I am too nervous to think about why she knew about the purpose of my meeting with the King today.

"Hopefully so," I answered hoping her assurance would at least help me calm down. I mean how can I calm down knowing that I'd be lying in the King's face later? Bahala na.

* * *

After several minutes, I found myself gaping at my own reflection in the mirror.

"That's me, right?" I turned to one of the handmaidens dahilan para tumawa silang dalawa bago tumango. I turned back to the mirror.

"Wow," My hair looks unreal. How they did it, I have no idea. There are intricate swirls on it and some flowery hairpins I didn't know that existed on my drawer. "How did you even do this?"

"We just did some minor changes, Lady Liliana--"

"Please don't address me like a lady." I faced them.

"But soon, you'll be."

Napaharap kaming lahat sa pinto. And there stood the twins in their glorious form.

"Wow. You look appetizing." Luca blurted out dahilan para samaan ko siya ng tingin. I faced myself in the mirror again. The two handmaidens exited the room not without a wink from Luca.

The dress is fiery. It was combination of orange and red that makes the dress look like it's on fire. And most of my back is exposed. Is this even an appropriate dress to meet with the King?

Mukhang nabasa nila ang tanong sa mukha ko because their eyes traveled to my whole almost exposed being.

"Stunning. You're fine. Don't worry." Levi assured dahilan para mapahinga ako ng maluwag. I don't want to leave a bad first impression. I have to do my best today. Even if I would be lying to the King of Oregon. If this is what I can do for all the help that Exene gave. I have to trust him. That's the least I could do.

"You ready?" Levi asked and I nodded.

"Good. Then, shall we?" Luca grinned while he offered his arm to me. Ganoon din ang ginawa ni Levi and I smiled at the two of them for making me feel less nervous somehow.

* * *

The table is quiet. I didn't even dare move my feet or my hands as I am afraid of making any noise. The Princess in front of me is still too. And her stare is another thing that keeps me from moving. She averted her eyes when I looked at her and drank at her glass. The twins looked bored and so is Black.

The double doors opened and everybody stood up to greet the King and Queen. Exene is walking next to his father. His eyes met mine and it did not escape my eyes how he hovered his gaze on my dress. And I could have sworn a proud smile escape his lips as he beheld the dress he personally chose fitting perfectly on my body.

The King sat down on his chair at the head of the table and that was our cue to sit down too. Exene is seated in front of me next to the Princess while Black is next to me. I badly need someone I can confide with at this moment and Black isn't exactly that kind of person. Exene gave me an assuring smile and it did not lessen the nervousness.

Foods arrived and despite the hunger I felt earlier, I can't bring myself to eat the savory food. The Princess is exchanging smiles with the Queen while occasionally glancing on my side. I am too nervous to even care. What if the King finds out? Am I going to lose my head? Or my hands? Will I be handed to the rebels? Will I be sent back to Oregon and I'll have no escape but to marry --

"So what I heard is true."

My fingers stilled when I heard the King spoke. Everybody froze. This is the first time he opened his mouth to talk ever since he arrived in the hall.

He rested his chin on the back of his hands and looked at me.

"The famous Lily of The West is here. Under my son's roof."

I can feel the tension. Exene's eyes is boring on me and the King's gaze is on me too.

"Yes. All of it is true, Your Majesty. Exene—His Grace has been very generous and kind to me letting me live here and gave me a job. He did more than he should." I said and gave the King a small smile. I can feel Exene's stare still on me.

The King picked his glass and sipped on his wine. "And he made the right decision. I have heard about what you did to help this city when bandits came and attacked a village. I am very grateful for your services. I am quite confident now that this city will become better that one of the best healers in Sandovia is in my land. Quite assuring."

I really have no idea how I got that 'one of the best healers in Sandovia' title but I still managed a small bow and a small smile, just like what the twins told me to do. Who could have thought those two could give me some helpful tips too.

"I'm flattered, Your Majesty."

The King nodded and focused his gaze on his son. "So what's this important announcement you have to tell over this meal?"

Biglang nanlamig ang buong sistema ko. Exene met my eyes. I composed myself, just like how I practiced back in my room. But it was hard to keep my hands from shaking. I met the Queen's eyes and she gave me an assuring smile. Does she know?

I looked at the Princess. She was focused on her food, like she's having a deep thought. And then he let out a breath.

"Lily and are dating. We plan to get engaged as soon you come back, Father. And now that you're here, it's time."

Exene met my eyes and I nodded. Before I could even heave a breath, the King choked on his wine.

The Queen immediately gave him a glass of water. I looked at Exene and he just shrugged. The Princess wasn't even paying attention and I have no doubt the twins are now stiffling their laughter.

Napapikit ako ng mariin. Remind me again why I agreed to this arrangement.

This is clearly a bad idea.

* * *

HAPPY NEW YEAR!