Chapter 20

By the time I reach the pavilion where the feast is taking place, the sun is setting. I need something to defend myself for the inevitable battle ahead. I look around and smile.

Maybe my luck is changing.

There on the ground lies a pile of weapons. Probably the Amazon's dumped their gear here before the feast. I lean over and pick up a decently sharp knife. I slip it into the waist band of my leggings. I take a deep breath, and straighten my buff.

I'm ready.

I march into the pavilion with all the bravado I can muster up. The pavilion goes silent. I feel all eyes on me, and I have a sudden urge to laugh. What a sight I must be-dried blood staining my white shirt and barely able to stay standing.

"No way." Kaone says in disbelief. I grin.

"Don't ever underestimate a girl with nothing to lose." I say.

"But I didn't underestimate you! I shot you to make sure you could never escape!" She shouts. I laugh weakly.

"I thought you knew me better Kaone. When it comes to saving my kingdom, nothing will stop me." I glare.

I draw my knife.

"You said earlier that the battle in the sewers was unfair. Unfinished if you will. How about we finish that battle right here. Right now." I say with all the strength I can.

I've put Kaone in a bad position. I know she doesn't want to risk losing to me, but if she chooses not to fight me, she will be considered weak.

"Or you could come back to Faiyria with me. My offer still stands." I smile.

"Never!" Kaone growls. She stands up.

"Get these tables out of here."

I sigh. I don't know if I can fight. I don't even know how much longer I can stand here. I don't know if I can beat Kaone, but it's looking like a good day to try.

The tables are pushed away, and a ring is formed-just like last time. I look up at the sky, with all of its stars. I wonder if I'll ever see them again. If I die today, I'm going to miss the beauty of this world. Obviously I'm not planning on dying, but you never know. If I die today, I will die happy, cause I know that Faiyria is safe. For the present at least.

"You ready Eadu?" Kaone shouts. I look back to Kaone and smile.

"If you are." I say. She nods. I grip my knife tightly in my left hand. Kaone draws her own dagger.

Then she strikes.

I see through her plan easily. She is aiming for my weak point. One good poke from her would send me tumbling to the ground in agony.

I duck and block her knife.
The battle has begun.

There's no denying it. Kaone is good. She is a fantastic fighter. But judging from the sweat running down both of our faces, I'm holding my own pretty well. Our blades lock once more.

"C'mon Kaone-your place isn't here. It's back in Faiyria with me." I groan. She snarls, but I can see the uncertainty in her eyes. This is the chance. I use my left leg to sweep her legs out from underneath her. She falls hard, and her knife skitters away. I pick it up and walk over to Kaone and stand over her.
"Kaone-please." I say. She just looks up at me sadly.

"Would you just kill me already?" She asks. I begin to shake my head, but then somebody darts up and pounds her fist into my bad shoulder. I scream and fall to the ground.

White hot fire burns through my arm as I lie there, fighting to remain conscious. I see Kaone shouting at the girl who punched me. Kaone walks up to me.

"Eadu-c'mon get up." She says, kneeling next to me. I vaguely register that that was the first time Kaone called me my real name.

I painfully shift my head to see her.
"I'm done Kaone. I can't do it." I whisper.

Then and there-I know I'm going to die. If Kaone doesn't kill me, then I'm going to die because of my wound. My breathing is already unsteady.

I want it to be over.

"You have to. This fight isn't over." Kaone grabs my good arm and try's to pull me up, but the pain is too intense, and I groan. She sighs and stands up.
She grabs her knife and walks back to me.

"Kaone-it's not too late." I whisper. Kaone raises her knife high over my head.

I'm going to see my parents again.

"I'm sorry Eadu." She whispers, before plunging the knife downward. I look up at the sky for the last time, and brace myself for death.

It doesn't come. I look at Kaone, her knife buried in the dirt next to me.

"I'm sorry Eadu that I didn't believe you. Obviously if I lose to a one armed opponent, then I'm not fit to be Queen. I concede my throne to you." Kaone smiles. I force a smile on my face.

"Swear your loyalty to me?" I whisper.

"I swear." Is the last thing I hear before blacking out.