【51】Hero Orange

The lunch break and our talk had smoothened things a little, and Saturday afternoon was much more amiable

The lunch break and our talk had smoothened things a little, and Saturday afternoon was much more amiable. We communicated, and our exchanges were somewhat free of tension.

However, despite our best efforts, I was starting to doubt we would ever be ready for Hello World. We still had a lot of issues to overcome, and countless tests to run. We had until Wednesday – so four days – to do it all before the team had to leave for San Francisco. Our slot was scheduled for Saturday, but without our powerful computers, and with the convention's animation and activities, I doubted we'd be able to work on it properly.

What would be the most laborious task was getting rid of the nail polish. While we were reaching a ninety-five percent accuracy with flashy nails, we couldn't get it to go over fifty percent without it. We knew it was possible, but it required much more time than what we were given.

I was stuck, having some issues regarding the algorithm, and Lex heard my low growl of annoyance. "Anything I can do to help?" he proposed, getting into my field of view.

"I need to check on a few things while the hand recognition algorithm is running so I can make some adjustments," I explained, hoping it would help settle the matter.

"Do you want me to sign while you inspect?"

"I... It would help, yes," I answered hesitantly.

Ever since we had begun our work on my app, it was common to see one of the nerds wearing bright nails. While the other employees had found it pretty amusing at first, it had now become a common sight, so no one was fazed by a pink-nailed man. Lex, however, had never worn any. At least I didn't think he had, and I could hardly imagine him rocking painted nails. If he was to help me with it, it meant he had to wear nail polish.

"Are you fine with wearing nail polish?" I asked, unsure how he would take it.

He cocked his eyebrow up in his arrogant way, as if my question was absolutely stupid. Ah, yeah, of course he wouldn't be okay with it. The man was a genius with millions in his bank account. Also, he happened to be the manliest man I'd ever met, so nail polish was a no.

"I've heard Steven say red was the most efficient one, do you have any?" Lex asked, surprising me.

"Hmm... I'm not sure which colors I have," I said after a few seconds of stupor before I reached for my bag. Knowing I constantly needed it for work, I was always carrying some nail polish. I took out the few ones I had and settled them in front of me. There was no red left, but I had a pretty nice orange one. The nail polishes I had weren't of high quality, but they were meant to dry fast.

I picked the orange one and showed it to him; he barely glanced at it and nodded. "Do you want me to apply it?" I offered, trying my best to hold back a burst of laughter. He nodded again and moved to sit near me, before resting his flat hand in front of me.

I looked down at Lex's strong, veiny hand and shook my head with a smile while opening the bottle. It was essential that I managed to discreetly snap a picture of this because it would probably be one of those once-in-a-lifetime occurrences. I tried to focus the best I could, but I couldn't help the occasional giggle. The situation was so absurd I couldn't get over it. This was truly hilarious.