Mirrors and Smoke

The crisp white silk slip Venetia's wearing accentuates every curve of her body, reminding her of the responsibility that comes with being the leading lady. Today is an important day for her; the day she'll be shooting the most iconic scene of the film.

With the air thick with anticipation, Venetia can feel her heart racing with excitement and nervousness.

She waltzes through the relatively spacious home, feeling the prying eyes of her co-stars and the crew members trailing her every move. She tries to ignore the whispers that trail her, but she can't help feeling self-conscious as she overhears their hushed conversations.

"Did you see the pictures?"

"I thought he was with Zendaya?"

"What happened to her boyfriend? The Irish one?"

Venetia is aware of the rumours that are spreading like wildfire on set. Unfortunately, she knows that the entertainment industry is brimming with gossip, and she has learned to tune it out. She's determined not to let it impact her performance.

After striding to her trailer, she's immediately struck by the organised chaos that greets her.

On one side of the room, there's a hair and makeup station, with a well-lit mirror surrounded by a ring of light bulbs that give off a soft glow. The other side of the room is dominated by a wardrobe rack filled with an assortment of clothes - from sparkling gowns to ripped jeans and everything in between.

The makeup brushes are scattered haphazardly across the makeup station, their bristles caked with different shades of foundation, eye shadow, and lipstick.

There are palettes of eye shadow and blushes, tubes of mascara and eyeliner, and jars of creams and moisturisers that sit on the counter, alongside a few bottles of nail polish.

In the corner, a rolling cart is packed with accessories - earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and hair clips, all arranged in an orderly fashion. Beside the cart, a tall standing mirror reflects Venetia's image back at her as she moves around the cramped space.

Despite the clutter, everything seems to have its place, as though each item has been meticulously arranged to create an environment that helps the actress feel comfortable and at ease. The air is filled with the scent of hairspray and perfume, and the soft hum of the hairdryer can be heard in the background from another trailer that's next to hers.

The walls of the trailer are adorned with closeups of her face from every scene in the film, as well as snapshots of her posing with other famous faces from the industry. A few well-placed knick-knacks and trinkets dot the shelves, giving the trailer a cosy and personal feel. Her favourite item of them all is a small framed photograph of her with Tom on the pier in Southend that they took when they were teenagers, although she collapses it and hides it underneath her hoodie that she arrived in.

The thought of someone snapping a picture of it now - and leaking it - terrifies her.

She makes a b-line to the cushioned love seat and lays across it, picking up her script that she stupidly left on the armrest the other day.

As she studies the script, she overhears another group of people discussing her relationship with Tom. They stand so close to her trailer that they might as well come inside and make themselves at home, it's depressive.

"She's a dark horse that one. Just like her character," one of the lighting technicians laughs.

Sitting alone in the trailer, Venetia feels a lump form in her throat. She doesn't deserve to be talked about behind her back like this. She takes a deep breath and reminds herself that she is a professional...