Chapter 2: Battle Trial

[Audio Book Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PaCt4Q15pk ]

"You must have a really good memory to remember the atomic makeup of all those things!"I said to Yaoyorozu as she explained her quirk to me after class. I'd made the effort to go up to her when classes were over as I was really curious about her quirk. She could create any non living object as long as she knew how it was made. I definitely wanted to know more about the limits of her abilities, however I wasn't about to ask her to produce something big for no reason.

"The same goes for you with your teleportation quirk, you have to remember every single place you've been to and judge the distance from it to be able to go there!" she replied, just as excited as I was.

"Well, I think mine is a little more simple. I think the best way I can describe it is by considering my brain and my consciousness as two separate entities. My quirk activation is based on the coordinates of where I want to go, and although my consciousness doesn't know the coordinates, when I photographically think of the place I want to go, my brain figures out the coordinates for me and takes me there. If I'm too far away, or haven't been there before, nothing happens so I just gotta try again until it works."

She brought her arms together over her chest and gave an open mouthed smile.

 "It's nice to be able to talk to someone who knows what it's like to have a quirk that requires something other than physical effort

 "It's nice to be able to talk to someone who knows what it's like to have a quirk that requires something other than physical effort. Everyone else is just able to do what they do, whereas we have to think about exactly what to make or where to go."

On my first day I'd made six friends. That was six more than I thought I'd make. I reflected on the day as I waved them all goodbye and made my way home. School was really... Exhausting. It was definitely going to take some getting used to. And despite how panic-inducing it was to have the threat of being expelled on day one, it was still really fun! I'd never had any experiences like that, and I did enjoy taking tests. Having Ectoplasm as a maths teacher was really cool too! I had a bit of trouble paying attention to art history class, but that was for other reasons...

I walked down my driveway and opened the door to an empty house. My father often worked late or at odd hours so I didn't see him much. I was fine with that. I was used to being alone, and I wasn't all that fond of him anyway. I made myself some food, I don't remember what it was as it was a lot less interesting than the stuff I had at the school cafeteria.

I retreated to my bedroom and sat at my desk eating as I browsed the web looking up various hero tactics to help revise for any tests that I may have to take later. After an unfruitful half an hour I gave up and decided to go on a power walk, getting some of my weights and walking around the neighbouring five blocks.

I came home even more tired and relaxed for a little while before doing a few arm exercises to try to strengthen my upper body muscles. A while later I stopped after I couldn't go on any longer and put the weights away. I sat on the side of my bed, drinking out of an unbranded sports bottle until it was empty.