Chapter 8: Silverfish

Hey lovelies,

It's almost Thanksgiving!!! I'm so excited, I love Thanksgiving. It also means that Christmas is coming up and all of the seasonal drinks at Starbucks have come out : ( I don't like it. The eggnog is really good, but the others are not my favorite. Like the chestnut praline latte tastes like Cheerios. 

Anyways, I had this regular creeper at my work follow me to the bathroom. I was writing in the cafe before work when our regular came up to me and said hello. We call him the pooper because every morning when he uses our bathroom to poop, he leaves a wall of it in the toilet. It's really gross and no one likes him. And every time he's in the cafe and I'm writing, he eye fucks me. But one day I was coming out of the bathroom after he had tried to talk to me this morning, I was coming out of the restroom to find him right in front of my door. I apologized for running into him, and then went back to my table, but the entire time he was giving me this weird grin. I was creeped out but my manager would do anything about it, because 'he's lonely' and 'needs friends' 

Sorry for the long spew.

Enjoy the story : )

"This is NOT normal," Rima raises her head, studying the dome of water over our heads with mild interest. She peers through the foggy blue and black water, blinking as a weak current pushes leaves and fish around my bubble.

Frost comes as easily as riding a bike for me but that doesn't mean I can't manipulate the water. It just takes more thought, more training, and more time to learn.

Strategically, I lay on Rima's back, carefully angling my body away from the spines running down her neck and tail before I can be turned into a human kabob. Together we watch the storm clouds above us, swirling and billowing towards the ocean. The lake above us ripples with every rumble of thunder.

My abilities tingle like someone running a delicate finger just over the hairs on my skin. It makes goosebumps raise like tiny hills over my entire body.

"It is if you're a mage." My voice echoes over the slick pebble floor, reminding me of when I was a little girl, singing or playing the piano in an empty house. I almost miss the practice, the way my fingers danced over black and white keys. Clarika enjoyed singing more than I did and while she entertained nobles with her voice, I played a soft melody and wished to be outside training.

From the depths of the cloudy cobalt blue water, a silverfish emerges with winking scales. It swims over the red and white dragon licking her lips, and watches Rima with one black eye. The urge to reach out and pluck it from the water, makes my throat tighten. I shove Rima's hunger down.

I love the water but hate seafood.

Thunder rumbles above, reverberating through my bubble. Disappointment settles in when the silverfish scurries away and disappears from sight.

"How did you ever live in a place that rains so much?" Rima wonders, looking for the fish again. If it comes back, she won't waste her chance to pluck it from the lake. "You can't get any flying done here."

"It's not normally like this," I say while lazily raising a hand to the sky. "Belonian winters are cold and grey. Not much snow, not much rain, and not much fun."

She huffs, her ribs expanding beneath me. My body jostles but the spines I've placed around myself keep me from rolling off my dragon. "You live with mages, that's an automatic check for boring. I'm only here three days a week and every time, I want to burn them."