68. Howl

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

We stepped straight into madness when we left the Forest of the Dead. My heart froze in fear when I saw just how big our enemy was. The sky was infested with shadows, blocking the sun almost completely. It was dark, even though it was supposed to be a clear day by now.

But I could still see the corporal enemy on the hill that was looming up ahead, and the sheer size of it was what scared me the most. I could see dozens upon dozens of werewolves fighting against my pack and our allies. Thorns had their own allies, and it was clear that they were winning. The shadows were possessing everyone they could, ten of them against one of ours.

There was a group of men at the top of the hill, and I already knew who they were – the Shadow Walkers. I couldn't tell if there were ten or twenty of them, but the five Spirit Walkers we had were not enough. Not by far. How did the enemy get into the heart of our lands so fast was beyond me. They would soon be able to get into the catacombs if this continued.

I spotted my father's Betas trying to keep the enemy Betas at bay, but only a few seconds later, Ryder got possessed, then Ezra. I could feel Tilly close by, but she was in great pain already. And my parents... They were on that hill, swarmed by the enemy...

Our defeat was happening so easily it scared me to death. There was absolutely nothing we could do against them. Like a gang of grownups stealing candy from a single sleeping infant. All our efforts, all the allies we had made and all the preparations... futile. Completely futile.

Now I understood why even my own father was afraid of the Shadow Walkers.

I let out the loudest howl. I poured my heart and soul into it, trying to be as loud as possible to reach as far as I could. I wanted to be able to stop the battle. I could feel death all around me. I could feel my family and friends in great distress. But nothing changed. I couldn't stop it. No one paid any attention to me.

All I could do was hope that Selene was right... I was clinging onto her words because that was all the hope I had left.

"We need to stop this," Oliver said when my voice faded away under the loud growls, screams and yells.

I walked beside Oliver, making sure nothing would dare to even look at him as we walked up the pathway. So far, no one had noticed us yet, but soon, Oliver stopped. Our path was blocked.

By Arch.

"He's possessed," Oliver spoke quietly.

'I'll deal with that,' Cedric replied, and a second later, Arch fell by the impact. I saw a big, black cloud getting tossed out of his body, and it joined its kind in the sky. I could feel Arch's pain and I didn't need to smell the blood to know he was badly injured. Why was he even here? He had been poisoned and lost an arm!