Season 1 - Into the Woods

"G'night, Mike," I called out the passenger window as the boy stumbled out of the car and got his bike from the trunk. After our 'talk' with Jim Hopper, I had been given instruction to take care of the kids until their parents were home. After a long night of just sitting around our house, I was relieved when both Mrs. Sinclair and Mrs. Wheeler called to say that they were home.

"Night," Mike called back with a lazy wave. I waited until I saw he was inside the house before driving away. Dustin and I had already dropped Lucas off, so now we were on our way back home.

The car was silent for a few minutes, until I finally spoke up.

"How're you doing, Dusty?" I asked. He was sitting in the passenger seat, looking aimlessly into the rear view mirror.

"Fine, I guess," he responded with a shrug. I sighed, knowing that trying to get anything out of him would be a challenge. "What about you?"

My eyebrows raised, surprise. Dustin shifted in his seat to glance up at me.

"I don't really know," I answered.

"That's a great answer," Dustin said, rolling his eyes.

"What, and 'Fine, I guess," is!?" I teased.

"Better than 'I don't really know!'" Dustin teased back. I elbowed my brother in his shoulder causing him to flick the side of my head.

"Hey!" I jumped, swerving the car in the dark roads before jerking back into the lane. Dustin erupted into laughter, and I felt happy for a second, knowing that I had taken it off his mind, even just for a second.

The laughter eventually died down, and the car returned to a thoughtful silence.

"I'm scared, (Y/n)," Dustin said softly, his voice breaking. I grabbed his hand from where it sat in his lap and held it tight.

"I know," I whispered. "Me too."

Dustin squeezed my hand softly, making me sigh again. Then, I took my hand from his and swung a left at the stop sign.

Dustin looked up at me questioningly. "You were supposed to take a right there?"

"Let's go get some ice cream, yeah?" I asked. "Maybe stop at the arcade along the way."

A smile returned to my brother's face.

"What about Mom?" He asked excitedly. I rarely took him anywhere without our mother telling me to.

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her," I shrugged. "We'll just tell her that we stayed at the Wheeler's a bit longer."

Dustin laughed, partly in disbelief, and partly thankful, I think.

"Hey, can we go back and get Lucas and Mike, too?"

"Don't push it, Squirt," I told him, a grin plastered across my face.
~~~
I was in my room, laying on my bed when I heard Dustin's footsteps in the hall. I assumed that he was just getting a drink, but I got up when I heard the front door open.

"Dustin?" I yelled out. I left my room and hurried into the hall, just in time to see Dustin staring guiltily back at me, halfway out the door. "Dustin, what are you-"

He hastily put a finger to his lips, making me stop, and then pointed to the living room where Mom had fallen asleep in the barcalounger, watching The Price is Right. I rolled my eyes and walked over to him, stepping onto the porch and closing the door behind us.

"Where are you going?" My voice was low as to not wake our mother up. "Do you what time it is?"

"Well, Mike and Lucas are-"