Chapter Forty-Two

November 11th, 2019

Sheila

I stood at the top of the stairs that lead to the gates of the Faerie Palace. My troops and fellow generals waited for me at the bottom. I was the last to descend, my mates arm snug tightly around my waist. My black sleeveless dress hugged every part of my body, showing all my insecurities, though I had my chin high. Only I could bring myself down now.

"Be safe," my mate, having his black uniform, golden chains hung off his shoulders, his jacket being held together by golden buttons. He leaned down and kissed me on my forehead.

He looked beautiful dressed up in his uniform. He rarely pulls it out, the only time I had seen it so far was now, and a day ago. I wondered if he washed it from yesterday to today. Knowing him, I didn't want the answer.

He didn't have to look as slick as he did today, no other king that wasn't going on the voyage was wearing it. Though it was of greatest tier of respect for a king, such as my mate, to wear his uniform to see someone off.

"I'll do my best," I teased, a smile on my lips. He growled and pulled me by my hips. I was flushed against his body, grinning up at my beautiful mate. How long would it be till I saw this blue eyes again?

"I don't like the sound of that. Im starting think you should stay."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, "I must go before you change your mind."

He kissed me, "you'll be safe?" It came out as a question, he would have to do a lot of meditation if he was this worried about me, as I haven't stepped foot off of friendly territory.

"For you, I will," I teased kissing his lips one last time. I unwrapped my arms from around his and untangled myself from his embrace. I turned and took a step down.

I felt him reach out and grab my hand. "I love you." His eyes swimming with worry.

I smiled, "I love you more." I wondered if love was the word to describe the bond between us. The word 'love' seemed too weak.

He let me go and I turned my head to the large army below. I raised my chin once more, straightened out the beautiful cape trailing behind me on the pearl white steps. One step after another now.

His eyes never left my person even when I was help the others pack all the logistics needed to survive.

Not till I was far away from the castle that I felt his presents leave my side.

The chills that I received, now that I knew I was on my own, was oh so daunting.

I grunted from the weight I have been caring for hours now. While I'm in my wolf form I have been carrying around eight hundred pounds of food. I was now eight times the size of a normal horse and I thought that carting food on my back would be a good idea. Wrong, and this lead me to learn a brutal lesson, use your head before your stomach.

There was a caw up ahead, I looked up to see a crow swooping down next to me. In a blink of an eye, the crow was now one of my fellow generals. He was probably joining me in the back, to help keep the men in line.

He walked alongside me, he doesn't talk much, I didn't know a lot about him besides the fact the he is the King of the Crows. Though, I think he has taken a liking to me because he always seems to be hovering by me. Even now he just walked besides me not uttering a word.

If I hadn't known better, I would have forgotten he was there in the first place. The King of Crows was a good-looking young man, probably a year or two older than myself, he had black hair and black eyes. He had tanned skin and black crow wings. He didn't wear much armor, just black metal pants and a sliver of metal on his torso. He displayed his tattooed arms that were filled with swirls and lines.