Vulnerabilities at the Dinner Table

Nikki, who's on tea duty, stares at the boiling kettle. She feels quite strange, hosting her son's ex merely months after Zendaya.

"Are you okay," Venetia asks in a genuinely concerned tone.

"My thoughts must've wondered," Venetia smiles at her half-arsed excuse, knowing that it must be a challenge to re-accept her back into their lives. All Venetia wants is for - at least - one of Tom's parents to accept her into their family again, just as they did years before when she was a teenager.

"Can I do anything at all? Sing, dance, embarrass myself in the worst way possible and possibly lose my dignity in the process?" Nikki, taken aback by her everlasting niceness, shakes her head with a smile. She wants to laugh at the 'possibly losing my dignity' part, which is a funny-but-strange phrase.

It's not the first time Venetia has said something hilarious. Just after everyone got acquainted with her, years ago, Venetia cracked a couple of jokes about her father balding like Dom. It wasn't even remotely offensive; it was just comically random - everyone was in stitches. Including the funny man himself! The worst part was the fact that Dom wasn't even balding.

Tom thinks that there's something attractive about - the art of not giving a flying fuck - girls. Nothing is better than being in a relationship with a funny woman, someone who teases mercilessly. Although, Venetia is the humblest and most optimistic woman he's ever had the privilege of dating.

"I'm fine," Nikki places the palm of her left hand against Venetia's arm, of which feels oddly awkward.

Smiling at her gentle touch, Venetia decides to do a 'Venetia thing', and gives her a hug instead. She turns her body towards Nikki and laughs while she hugs her, knowing that this is a pretty strange moment to share. It feels nice though, like a friendly hug is just what the doctor ordered.

The water in the matte black kettle starts to boil; starting as a mere murmur, and grows into a steady, solipsistic bubbling.

The women ignore it.

"I've missed you," Venetia whispers with closing her eyes.

"Same here, darling."

To save awkwardness, they pry apart seconds later. Venetia decides to change the topic by pointing towards fully boiled kettle that just switched itself off. The only sound in the room is the bubbles viciously festering.

"We better start pouring the tea or they'll get cranky," Nikki chuckles in agreement.

"I think there's an unopened pack of bourbons in the cupboard," Nikki points towards where she thinks they are. "I reckon that'll make up for the delay, do you?" Venetia lightly laughs, nodding her head.

Tonight, has been more than insightful for Nikki, but she feels grateful for Venetia taking the effort to talk to her. She can tell it won't be too long before they're chummy with each other one again.

"So, what brings you to New York? It's a long way from home. Unless you're living out here full-time now?" She queries, digging her nails into the frustratingly well sealed pack of bourbons.

Venetia, who's already familiarised with the kitchen, stands on her tiptoes and reaches into a door-less cupboard, retrieving a small circular plate.

"Oh, you know," the actress scratches the back of her neck. There's nothing more she hates than to talk about her film discography - she'd much rather talk about Tom's. "I'm shooting until May," her vague answer makes Nikki crack a smile.

Although it's just another Hollywood cash grab - she's still extremely proud about her latest project. It's special. Something unlike she's ever done before. Regardless of the trolls, psychotic Tom and Zendaya shippers, and insecure men... Venetia Nightingale will blow everyone away with her talent.