30 | Can't Help But Wonder

3 0
Can't Help But Wonder

After watching the first two Iron Man movies, Elijah decides it's time to stop avoiding the elephant in the room.

"So, what's up?"

It's all he says, flashing me a kind smile to match his tone. He's pushing without really pushing. I like it. Well, I like his method, not that he's trying to get me to talk.

But isn't that why I came here? To talk it out with someone? If I wanted a distraction, I could've went to Jalen's and certainly gotten one.

But that wasn't what I wanted. It's still not what I want.

Bringing my eyes to Elijah, I brace myself and try deciding where to start. My hands feel sweaty at the thought of sharing. Then I remind myself that Elijah's not someone I need to feel worried or nervous around.

As soon as I arrived on his doorstep, he welcomed me with open arms—no matter how intrusive I felt when I spotted his mother on the couch, and realized he said he couldn't leave the house because he didn't want her alone.

"It's my parents," I confess lowly, diverting my eyes to the floor. "I found out something about them and it just... messed with my mind, a little."

Elijah angles his body toward me, but remains quiet.

"I wondered for so long why my mom all of a sudden wanted to follow my dad out here. I mean, we'd gone almost three years without him. The original deal was for him to figure things out up here then come home," I say, keeping my gaze on the floor. "But at the end of the summer my mom came out of nowhere and said we were moving. No reason, no room for argument. Her word was law."

I take in a breath, remembering that day and how upset I was. I'd gone as far as to steal the tickets and shred them, as if that would change her mind.

I remember crying about it in my room. I was mad that our lives were revolving around Dad's needs and wants. I was mad we were being uprooted from everything we knew, once again, because that's what was convenient for Dad.

Mostly, I didn't want to leave Beach Way. My friends or Liam.

The thought stings more than anything.

I spent weeks feeling guilty about leaving, as if I didn't do all I could to stop it, all because I'd miss them.

And what did they do in return? My best friend and boyfriend hooked up behind my back.

Why do people cheat?

I feel a hand lightly touch my knee, making my eyes quickly find Elijah's. He removes his hand the second I do, but the effect of his touch lingers, and it gives me enough serenity to gather myself.

"I tried questioning her before about it. All she did was brush me off," I tell him. "She made it seem like it wasn't my business. But how could it not be? How could she possibly think this doesn't affect me?"

Elijah furrows his brows. "I can't answer if I don't know what it is that's affecting you."

I sigh. I know, Elijah. I'm just not sure if I want to share that.

Infidelity has been a constant presence in my life, not only in my own relationships but in my parents. This isn't the first time it's come up in their marriage, but it is the first time it's been confirmed. The other time, I did something really stupid when other people mentioned it.

But Elijah's not just anyone. He's not some dumb kid from school who knows nothing about me.

He's my friend, and he invited me into his home because he can clearly tell I need help.