{Short}

Narrator's POV

Jabri groaned as he hung up the phone, yet again. Upon hearing the news about Corey, he had been calling around trying to book flights. Due to inclement weather, a lot of them were either cancelled or delayed. Once again, it seemed as if it was one thing after another.

"I know you're upset but fussing and cussing won't help anything, Jah." Sarai' explained to him. "His aunt not even answering the phone no more! How the fuck you call me the day after?! He been in there since yesterday, why the fuck she just telling me?!" He continued to yell at no one in particular. He was frustrated and worried. And he blamed himself for Corey being in this situation.

"I shoulda kept him here, man. I knew it." He shook his head as he took a seat back at the table. "I have to get back to work but I need you to calm down." Sarai' rubbed his shoulders. "I'm calm." He stated. "I'll call her. If you're gonna cuss and fuss, she's not gonna answer." She giggled a little. "She act like she don't give a fuck about him and I still sent him." He was more mad at himself than anything.

"I told you before that it wasn't your fault. Stop blaming yourself." She comforted him. "It's hard not to Rai'. All this shit on me now cus' he ain't got nobody else." Jabri sighed. Christmas was nearing and he was hoping to get Corey by then. Knowing that he was now hospitalized messed up his plans because he wasn't sure when he could get to him. "Shit wasn't supposed to be this way, man." He continued to fuss. "Everything will be fine. He's alive, that's what matters. We'll fly down together when we can, okay?" Sarai' placed a sweet kiss to his lips.

"Aight. I gotta go buy a damn tree now." He stood, making her giggle. "Lex?" She questioned. "Yeah...she on my body." He chuckled lightly. "As she should be because Christmas is next week." She scolded him. "It a be up before then." He replied. "You staying late tonight?" He asked. "Possibly, why?" She wondered. "Cus' I want you to stay with me and I know Lex wanna see you." He told her. "I do miss her little face. Lace is in town too, so I have to get them together. I'll be there when I get off." She smiled as they shared a hug and kiss. "Aight. I love you...forever. Don't forget that." He spoke genuinely. "I love you too, Bear." She responded before he left.
--
New Orleans| Louisiana

"So, how long he gotta stay in here?" Tisha's voice came off irritated as she spoke with the doctor. Pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose, he turned to her. "Well...he's not in the best condition to leave Miss Falcon. He was beaten badly and he needs to heal. He'll be in for a few days." He explained as she scoffed. "Well, I can't stay cuz I got other kids. He not my son." She wasn't the least bit empathetic toward her nephew and that surprised the doctor. He kept his thoughts to himself but his expression showed disgust.

"Well...where are his parents?" He wondered. "They dead." She replied dryly with a shrug. "Is there anybody else I can call that wouldn't mind being here with him?" He gave her the same attitude. "No." She rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry, I have to run." He suddenly dismissed her, walking away. The carelessness she displayed was annoying him and he almost had to come out of character. He couldn't believe the manner in which she took this situation, even if she wasn't his mother.

Crossing her arms, Tisha walked back into the room. Her eyes scanned over her nephew lying still in the hospital bed as she huffed. She never cared for her drug using sister, especially not after she left New Orleans to live in New York. 'The Big City.' Tisha had always been jealous of her younger sister and it showed. Coming up they fought like cats and dogs and every chance she got, she would try to ruin Toya's happiness. Sleeping with her boyfriends, stealing her things, airing her business out to anybody that would listen.

When they left Louisiana Tisha couldn't be angrier that her sister had found a man to move her away. What about the rest of the family? She needed help too. Carrying that grudge left nothing but brewing hate in her heart over the years. Not only for her sister but for her sister's children too. "Think somebody pos' ta babysit you. You shoulda stayed ya ass in New York. Found somebody else to take care of you. Momma don't need this shit. Every time you come around it's some shit. I don't feel bad for you, it's what you get." Her words were harsh. Thankfully, Corey was out of it so he couldn't hear them.