42

"Annabelle." A man shouted from his front porch. "Come back here this instant! It isn't safe after dark!"

Annabelle's feet pounded on the ground as she ran.

"No way in hell am I going back to that place." Annabelle huffed. She wiped a fresh cut on her cheek. The bleeding had gone down a bit.

"ANNABELLE!!" The man's voice rang throughout the town. But the girl kept running.

Annabelle wasn't watching where she was going. She didn't even know where she was running.

Annabelle's foot caught on a fallen branch and she fell face first into something wet and mushy.

"Oh gross." Annabelle slowly sat up and brushed herself off. Her eyes slowly widened as she saw a human head lying in front of her.

"What the hell?!" Annabelle scooted back until she hit a tree stump.

Or was it?

Annabelle's hands pressed against something hard and skinny. But it definitely wasn't a tree stump.

"You lost little girl?" A man asked as he showed his bloody fangs. Annabelle screamed and bolted. She pushed dead branches out of her way as she ran.

"I just want to help you get home!" The mans voice echoed around the trees.

Annabelle stopped and spun around. Everywhere she looked there were trees. No road, not one person to yell out for help. Annabelle was going to die here.

"No." Annabelle's hands shook with fear. "I need to find a road, I need to find something that leads to civilization."

"Come here little girl!" The mans voice sounded close.

Annabelles head turned towards the sound of his voice. She listened for twigs snapping and animals scurrying off. But Annabelle heard none of these things.

"Boo!" Annabelle whipped around and was grabbed by her shoulders.

The man smiled.

"You're gonna make a fine meal for my family tonight." The man licked his lips and Annabelle cried.

"Hush now." The man pressed a pressure point on Annabelles neck and watched her head fall. "It will be over before you know it." The man then picked up Annabelle and walked his way towards home.

~<•>~

Annabelle's eyes slowly opened. She felt cold and tired.

"What-" Annabelle looked up towards the ceiling and saw that her hands were shackled above her head. Her feet were shackled to the floor.

"Good, you're awake." The man smiled at Annabelle.

"Why are you doing this?" Annabelle asked as she struggled in her chains.

"Us wolves got to eat." The man played with a large cutting knife.

"Why me?" Annabelle felt tears roll down her cheeks.

"You just smelled so," the man turned towards Annabelle and chuckled. "Special."

The man put down his knife and walked towards Annabelle.

"You know." The man's hand traveled up towards Annabelle's cheek. "I'm feelin' the old fashion way." His nails grew longer and sharper.

Annabelle let out a small scream before the man's hand covered her mouth.

"Shhhh." The man held a finger to his lips.

"This way!" Someone shouted from above.

The man growled.

"Hunters."

"Mmm?" Annabelle raised a brow in confusion.

Three shots rang out and the man screamed. He let go of Annabelle's face and bolted towards the door.

Just then, the door swung open. A tall man held a shotgun.

"Not so fast, Harvey."

"You killed my family!" Harvey growled.

"Yeah," The man cocked his gun. "But you killed thousands."

Harvey growled again and lunged forward. But he was sent back from the impact of the silver bullet that landed in his chest.

"You alright?" The man took Annabelle out of her chains.

Annabelle only shook.

"Hey?" The man looked down at the girl. "You alright?"

Annabelle looked up at the man and slowly nodded her head.

"What's your name?" He asked as he walked Annabelle outside.

"Annabelle."

"I'm Samuel." The man smiled.

"Dad," a woman with long blonde hair walked up towards Samuel. "It's all clear."

"Good job Mary." Samuel nodded his head towards the girl. "Knew I could count on you."

"Everyone is waiting for us at the halfway house." Mary walked towards a truck and got in.

"Do you have somewhere you can go?" Samuel asked Annabelle.

Annabelle quickly shook her head.

"Well then," Samuel led the girl towards his truck. "Welcome to the family. We'll have to change your name and such. To keep you safe." Samuel stood next to his truck. "We'll call you, Jessica."

"That name reminds me of my mother." Annabelle smiled. "I like it."

"Jessica," Samuel started. "Welcome to the family business."