Chapter 53

[I took so long to put this out and I re-wrote it so many times. Yet this is a short chapter and I almost broke my god damn operating system tryin to write this so please enjoy! ㅠㅠ

Also, trigger warning for, uh...gore? You'll see, please don't panic. (panic)

Bye, flesh beans.]

Chapter 53

Elizabeth's POV

The throne room was alive with the sound of my shrilled wailing as I leaned at the base of the throne, hugging myself. Tears and spittle dripped onto the floor, my hair stuck to my skin. I was an utter, sobbing mess, screaming out incoherent pleads. My throat hurt but I couldn't keep myself from shrieking out all of the pain, the humiliation, and the heartbreak. A mixture of emotions I haven't seemed to run away from for so long.

Zazel and Sudryl stood a few feet away, only watching me with timid concern, too afraid to approach me. Caedis stood by the entrance to the room, watching as well with his usual, emotionless eyes. Although this time, he was in charge of holding the cat that I had gifted to the twins long ago. It lay in his arms, observing the room.

After everything that happened at the cabin, despite Jeff's final demand to me in his bloodied state, I went back. I couldn't bear to leave him alone after what he did to himself, even if it meant he would hate me more. But he was nowhere to be found. The only trace of him left was the giant puddle of blood that lay on our bedroom floor. I searched everywhere in the surrounding woods for him. No blood trails, no hints or clues to his whereabouts. He was gone. Gone.

I cried for the second time. I gripped at my torn shirt and pressed my head against the cold floor, watching my tears and snot collect into small puddles. They reflected back my pathetic image so easily. How could this have happened...? How could I have been so stupid....?

"I just wanted to be with you...," I murmured to no one. He was not here. I may never see him again. All because of these fucking mouths....!

Sensing my hatred, they glowed and writhed across my skin. Mocking me. Tormenting me. I wish I could just rip them off of my body. I don't care how mangled I were to look, I wanted them gone!

"You can't control them...no matter how much you love me."

"If I just had more time," I murmured, "if I could just get a second chance...!"

I looked to my ring. Ocean blue glinted at me, seemingly spitting in my face, reminding me how I've messed this up once again. I found myself caressing my thumb where I had always carried Jeff's wedding band. There was no reminder of him with me anymore. I left that ring with him on his bloodied person, the only image of him that keeps replaying in my mind over and over. I felt alone. Abandoned. By my own doing.

Then, something else came to mock me...

Elizabeth... I had warned you—.

"DON'T!" I shrieked, standing so fast I nearly fell over, but I was able to glare Zalgo right in his face.

He clenched his jaw, crimson eyes filled with a sympathy that made me want to vomit. Despite my demand, he spoke up anyway.

You knew the consequences of keeping your identity a secret.

"I said do not!" I growled.

I had warned you, even urged you to find a better way.

I clenched my fists so tight, my nails nearly punctured my skin. "Stop right now."