Chapter 9: Mystery

You spiraled in the frosty water. With the dim lights of the night, you got lost under the surface, unsure of what was up or what was down. Your dress and heels weighed you down, and no matter how hard you kicked your legs, you felt as if you were trapped. Were you going to drown here?

Suddenly, you heard a splash from nearby. As you were lost in the water, you did not see the mysterious figure who was now swimming towards you. They wrapped their strong arms around you, and carefully tugged you towards the light.

Your head broke the surface of the water, and you gasped for air. Kara was already there, grabbing your hand and helping you out of the water.

"[F/N]!! Omigosh are you okay?"

You coughed, as the fresh air seemed to burn your lungs. Others at the party saw what was happening and approached you, looks of concern on their faces. You turned your head to see who had rescued you, and felt surprised when you saw that it was Markus.

"Are you alright?" He asked, but before you could reply, Connor, Daniel, Josh and Simon rushed over.

"[F/N]!!" Connor called, running to your side. "What happened? Did Markus do something?" He glared at Markus, as if this was his fault.

"I was the one who dived in after her," Markus replied calmly, looking from Connor to you.

"Did someone push you in the pool [F/N]?" Kara asked, and you took deep breathes, trying to calm your racing heart. You shivered, suddenly realizing how cold it was. They looked at you expectantly, and you knew you had to answer.

"I don't know what happened," You murmured, "It did feel like someone pushed me, but I didn't see anyone."

Kara looked worriedly at Connor, then at the others. Connor, noticing your shivering, took off his jacket and wrapped it around your shoulders. Kara stood up, looking at all the people that surrounded you. When Kara met their gazes, they nervously looked away.

"Someone here pushed [F/N]..." She mused, pacing past them. Connor also stood, looking at the people closest to you.

"Who did this?" Connor growled, and you flinched slightly. You had never heard Connor use that tone of voice before. He also began to walk past the closest people, with a dark glare on his face.  "One of you here did this... and I'm going to find out who it is."

Of course, none of the others came forward, and you were beginning to feel self conscious. This was too much. For all you know, it may have just been an accident.

Kara's eyes fell on one of the closest people to you, North, who seemed to be annoyed at how much attention you were gaining from this. Connor also noticed her expression, and glanced at North, who was leaning on her crutches.

"North... where were you when [F/N] was pushed into the pool?"

"I didn't push her if that is what you are implying," North replied, scowling slightly. "I only just came onto the rooftop."

"Right, because you saw Markus," Kara scoffed, "Did you feel jealous North?" North flushed, and couldn't meet Kara's gaze.

"That's none of your business!" She griped, "Besides, my leg is still clearly broken."

"Markus had just been with [F/N]," Connor interrupted, "Did you push her Markus?"

"I already told you, I was the one that saved her," Markus replied, beginning to also look annoyed.

"It's just suspicious that you had just been with her," Connor muttered, "If it wasn't you, surely you would have seen who did it?"

"I was talking to Simon." Simon nodded in agreement, proving Markus's claim.

This argument went on, with everyone blaming each other. Kara insisted that it must have been North, North was sure it was one of the other girls, Connor thought it was Markus, Markus thought you must have just slipped. This went on and on, and you were beginning to get a headache from the noise. You coughed, trying to clear the burning feeling from your lungs. Finally, everyone quieted, and turned to look at you.

"I'm sorry [F/N], you must be freezing..." Kara moved over, grabbing your hand to help you up. "I'll get Luther to drive you home."

"No, I'll drive her home," Connor insists, touching your shoulder. "My house is not too far from hers, it makes sense."

"I can do it," Markus interjected, "My car is faster. She needs to get out of the cold." Connor glared at Markus, and Markus glared right back. You wondered what kind of past these two had to cause them to argue at each other so much. When they glared at each other like that, they reminded you of two growling dogs.

"Both of you stop," Kara replied, and in her words, it was clear that there was no room for argument. "[F/N] is my friend. Until we figure out who caused this, I will take care of her." She wrapped an arm around your shoulder, trying to keep you warmer. "Come on [F/N]."

Both men tried to pull you away from Kara, but Kara was firm with her words, and soon Luther was by her side. Once Luther was there, everyone else seemed too intimidated to come any closer.

Kara led you away from Daniel's apartment, and towards Luther's car. You climbed into the back seat, while Kara and Luther sat in the front. Kara immediately put the heater on, trying to warm your shivering limbs.

"Are you okay [F/N]?" She asked, looking at you in the back seat. "I know it has nothing to do with me, but I'm so sorry that happened to you..."

"It's okay Kara," You replied, gazing out the window, as Detroit flashed past. You wondered what you must have left behind at the party. You felt bad for causing such a chaos. You hoped that the fighting was over, and that everyone had returned to having fun.

"[F/N]..." Kara interrupted your thoughts, "Are you sure you don't remember who pushed you? Anything at all might help."

You shook your head. "I really didn't see anything. One moment, I was there, standing beside the pool... and the next, I felt like I was pushed forward."

"I don't think that was an accident," Kara mused, "I don't want to alarm you [F/N], but I think someone might be targeting you. The question is who."