Senior Year

Ok, I know that the school year started a few months ago, but I feel like I'm in a good place with my emotions to write this.

I mean, there's still so much stress even though I've already applied to all my colleges — submitting paperwork and essays for scholarships is not fun. And it's hard balancing college stuff with actual school work from this year, especially when it seems like teachers are trying to cram as much homework and projects as possible in such little time.

I know that my stress levels have been pretty high lately, not to mention that I'm involved in so many extracurriculars and tutor practically every day of the week except for Sunday that if I find time to breathe, it's a miracle. But thankfully I have good friends that are in the same boat as me, so it's not like I'm doing this alone, which I think is so important.

In my case, I know that I have a few close friends that will be at my side through thick and thin, and I genuinely hope that everyone reading this can claim the same thing. And if you're someone who struggles with making friends, I encourage you to find people who share your interests, because going through middle/high school alone is rough, especially if you need someone to talk to.

And for anyone reading who isn't a senior in high school, here's some advice I wish someone had given me earlier:

1. Get involved in everything. I get it, this piece of advice is cliche, but it's true. Try everything and learn what you like, because you'll start discovering what you're passionate about and what you're good at. This will be so helpful when thinking about what you want to major in once you're in college or what you want your career to be.

2. Surround yourself with good friends. Again, cliche advice, I'm aware, but it still holds true. I just had  some conversations with my teachers, and I think their advice sums it up best when evaluating any sort of relationship, whether that be friendships or romantic interests: if someone isn't adding value to your life, then they're taking value from you.

3. It's okay to make mistakes. We're still learning, so the fact that everyone is so quick to judge you based on one mistake is complete garbage, in my opinion. Making mistakes is a part of life, just be prepared to own them. Learn from your mistakes and grow as a person, it'll feel so much better than holding onto resentment or anger when you move on in life.

4. Try not to procrastinate too much when it comes to preparing for college. Be aware of deadlines, whether that be for applying to colleges, writing essays and submitting them on time for scholarships, or looking at SAT/ACT testing dates starting towards the end of sophomore or beginning of junior year. On that note, keep track of subject test, community service, or extracurricular requirements. Talk to teachers about how to write a good personal essay and ask in person for letters of recommendation (God knows you'll need a handful of them). And most importantly, don't be afraid to seek advice from your college/guidance counselor or someone you trust who can help you during this time.

5. Enjoy the time you have left. Yeah, we all want high school to end so that we can go off to college and be actual adults, but I think it's also important to cherish the time we have left. What's the rush to grow up when being an adult means paying your own bills, never seeing some of your friends from school again, or having to be responsible for every little aspect of your life? Sure, some of these freedoms are great, and depending on your situation, some of you can't wait until you're out of your parents' house, but it's important to enjoy your childhood for as long as possible. Spend time with friends, join the club you might be interested in, audition for the play, try out for that sports team — whatever it is you want to try, do it. The worst that could happen is you don't like it or that you're denied, but at least you tried. Personally, I want to graduate high school with as little regrets as possible, and I think most people share that sentiment too.

Again, I don't know everyone's current situations, so I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm insensitive or naive, but this is coming from my high school experience.

Anyhow, I'm excited for graduation, but at the same time, I plan on making the most of the time I have left with my friends and family before I go off to college. And if you're looking for tips and tricks when it comes to applying for colleges, feel free to leave a comment or message me, and I'll do my best to answer or share stories about my own experiences.

See y'all next time 😊

And on a totally unrelated note, I started watching Sherlock on Saturday and am halfway through season 3; so good!! Highly recommend it! 😍