Epilogue

Happy Monday!

Thank you everyone who came on this journey with me! I'm sad for this story to end, but super excited for our next one to begin.

I'm not 100% sure when my next book is gonna come out or what that update schedule is gonna look like, but be on the look out peeps!

Axel's POV

I stand beside Hazel as she swings her legs back and forth. I'd usually pick her up and set her on my lap so that I can sit too, but she is doing so good right now, I don't want to mess it up.

The nurse I'm gonna come in soon and give her the shots, but I haven't quite explained what shots are to Hazel yet. I don't think she's ever been vaccinated before, so this should be new to her.

I don't know if I should explain it to her now, or just let her experience it. I don't want to freak her out with an explanation if she won't be scared by it without one.

Hazel hums happily, sucking on the lollipop the nurse gave her before she went to go get Hazel's shots. "Do they always give you candy?" She asks me.

"Only good girls," I tell her and she smiles, going back into her own little world. I reach down and run my hand over her head and she just hums.

There is a knock on the door and I straighten up. There is only two ways this can go: good or bad.

"Okay, Hazel. Come on up here," the nurse says with a smile, patting the examination table. Hazel slides off the chair with no complaint, blissfully unaware how much she's going to dislike her shots.

"What's that?" Hazel asks curiously, still sucking on her lollipop.

"It's a shot, but it won't hurt much," the nurse answers before I can.

Hazel's smile falters for a moment. She looks to me in uncertainty and I come stand by her side. I help her remove one are from my sweatshirt so that the nurse can give her the shot. "It will make it so you don't get sick. You don't like being sick, right?" I ask her.

"But it hurts," she asks me.

".... a little," I say. I don't want to lie, but I don't want to worry her either. "It will be fine. Do you want to hold my hand," I ask her.

She glances at the nurse as she rubs alcohol on Hazel's arm. "...yeah," she says.

"Look at me," I say, knowing it will scare her to see the shot. Hazel's eyes flick up to mine. "Relax your arm. It's okay," I assure her, reaching forward and moving a piece of hair from her face.

"I...I don't like this," she tells me, her hand gripping mine tightly.

"I know, Doll. It will only be one second and then it's over. Relax you arm. It will hurt more if you tense up," I remind her.

"I-I don't like this," she says again.

"I know, but you're doing so well, Doll," I say.

"Exhale," the nurse says and Hazel does. I know the exact moment the nurse gives Hazel her shot. Hazel's eyes go wide and she lets out a little squeak. "Ow! Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow," She says, looking at me in distress.

"You're fine. It's okay," I say, grabbing the side of her face as she goes to look at her arm.

"All done," the nurse says. "The doctor should be in soon," she says, leaving us alone again.

Hazel frowns down at the bandaid on her arm before looking up at me again. "Ow," She says.

I can't stop myself from smiling at her.