Fourty-Eight

Severus stalked towards the great hall. Amelia was in labour. His daughter was going to be born on the day he had to kill Albus Dumbledore. He thought it was a cruel fate.

Albus looked at Severus. "Go and see your daughter Severus. She will need her father," he said.

"No."

Albus sighed. "Severus. Please. Your daughter will need to know she has a father. Even if you aren't in her life when she is older."

Severus shook his head. "I can't Albus. I can't put Amelia through knowing the father of her daughter is a murderer."

***
Amelia swore as a contraction hit her. She was in absolute agony. Narcissa held her hand tightly. "You can do this my darling. I know you can."

Amelia shook her head. "No. I can't," she sobbed.

Narcissa took her hand. "You can my darling. I know you can. It will all be over soon and your tiny baby will be here," she said.

Amelia looked at her mother. "When she's here, I need you to take her somewhere safe. Please," she sobbed.

Narcissa frowned. "Amelia, the best place for her is with you. She's safe with you."

Amelia shook her head. "No. It's not. She'll be safe with someone from the order. Please. I can go back to the manor and pretend I went missing," she said.

***
Draco was shaking. Maisie sat with him. "She'll be okay. I know she will. The baby will get here safely and they'll both be okay."

Draco looked at her. "I don't know. Amelia isn't safe. Not while he's still around."

Maisie knew the Malfoy twins had been through so much. She felt bad for them. "Amelia is going to have her baby and she'll make it all work. I know she will."

***
The day went by slowly for Severus. He heard the school choir and sighed. Maisie walked on past. "Miss Potter. Any news?" He asked.

Maisie looked at him and shook her head. "No sir. The last I heard from an house elf is that she was having contractions. Mrs Malfoy is with her now," she told him.

Severus nodded and watched as Maisie walked off. He thought about the baby daughter he wouldn't get to meet. He sighed.

***
Amelia was closer to giving birth. Narcissa had owled Molly Weasley. She walked in and smiled. "Your owl sounded urgent."

Narcissa nodded. "Amelia has requested that when she has given birth, her child be placed with someone who can keep her safe. Someone in the order. She thought of you."

Molly looked at Amelia. "Temporary?"

"Yes. I will pay you. For anything she needs."

Molly smiled and took her hand. "You won't pay me a sickle deary. If this means keeping your darling daughter safe, I will do this."

***
Albus and Harry returned. Albus was extremely weak. He looked at Harry. "Severus. Find Severus. Tell him I want him."

Harry nodded. He left the astronomy tower and went to find Severus. He heard voices. He saw Draco making his way up to where Albus was.

"Good evening Draco."

***
Amelia screamed as she pushed out her daughter. She was in agony and couldn't handle it anymore. Poppy Pomfrey was there to oversee that nothing went wrong.

Narcissa smiled. "She's almost here," she told her.

***
Severus arrived. He knew Amelia was now at St Mungo's. Maisie had told him as he made his way up the tower. He saw Bellatrix, Greyback, Dolohov and the Carrow siblings. Draco was shaking.

"No."

Albus looked at Severus. "Severus. Please."

Severus took out his wand and pointed it at Albus. "Avada kedarva."

***
Amelia cried as her daughter was brought into the world. She caught a glimpse of her. "I-Is she okay?" She asked.

Narcissa smiled and nodded. "She's beautiful. She looks exactly like you."

Amelia sighed in relief. She looked up as Madam Pomfrey brought her daughter over. Amelia held her. "She's perfect," she mumbled.

Narcissa smiled and nodded. She felt a tear slip down her cheek. She had a perfect grandchild. But she knew her son was going through something of his own. Something that could potentially change his life.

***
Maisie saw her brother going after Snape and Draco. She followed them. "Harry?!"

"Your boyfriend. Snape. They killed Dumbledore."

Maisie didn't believe it. She knew that the dark lord had given Draco an order. But she didn't think it would be that.

An house elf popped up. "Missy Malfoy wants Missy Potter to know baby is here and is beautiful."

Maisie felt her heart break. She saw Severus going off into the Forrest. She wiped away her tears.

***
Amelia held Ivy close to her. She stroked her cheek as Molly walked in. Arthur Weasley behind her. "Amelia, you are welcome to see her whenever you want to."

Amelia smiled slightly. Minerva walked in. "Severus Snape. He has killed Albus. He's dead."

Amelia felt her heart shatter. She looked down at her daughter. She knew now that Ivy wasn't safe. She had to let her go.

Minerva walked over to Amelia and smiled through her tears. "It was Albus' request that when the child was born, he saw her. Sadly that won't happen."

***
Maisie walked into the room where Amelia was. There was no one else there. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"I need you to do me favour. Ivy is going to the Weasley's. It's for her own safety. She's going tomorrow. Please, take her to Severus. I know he's a murderer. But he needs to see her. Just once."

"Amelia."

"Please Maisie. I wouldn't ask. But for me. Please."

***
Severus apparated into the Forrest. Maisie was there. She held a small bundle in her arms. "Miss Potter?"

"Amelia asked me to bring her to see you. She said despite you being a murderer, you had to see her. I'm to take her back to Amelia soon."

Severus took his daughter and held her. He felt a tear when he saw how much she looked like Amelia. She had his hair though. Maisie took a step back to give Severus some time with Ivy.

Severus held her close and spoke; "you will never not know love. You are so beautiful. I knew you would be. You will always be safe. I promise you now. I will do anything I can to keep you and your mother safe. My beautiful daughter."

Ivy opened her eyes and Severus saw how blue they were. He kissed her head and placed a bracelet on her tiny wrist. It was something that he wanted his daughter to have. "Miss Potter."

Maisie walked over to Severus. He handed her back. "Tell Miss Malfoy the bracelet has meaning. It will keep her safe. And tell her thank you."

***
Maisie arrived back at St Mungos. Amelia smiled. "Well?" She asked.

Maisie handed Ivy back to Amelia. Amelia frowned when she saw the bracelet. "Where did that come from?" She asked.

"Severus. He said it will keep her safe. He said thank you."

Amelia felt a tear roll down her cheeks. She had to somehow make sure she made it through this war. Ivy couldn't lose both of her parents at a young age. She wouldn't let it happen.