Chapter 10: Potions Class Disaster and the Dueling Club

December rolled in, bring with it, cold weather and snow. In the 2nd week of December, McGonagall came around a usual, collecting names from students who were staying at Hogwarts for the holidays. Harry Ron and Hermione signed her list to stay, because they had heard Malfoy was staying, too. They thought it was suspicious that Malfoy was staying at Hogwarts for the holidays, rather than go home. Hermione thought that the holidays would be the perfect time to use the polyjuice potion on Malfoy, to get a confession out of him. Unfortunately, the potion was half done. They still needed bicorn horn and boomslang skin and the only place to get it, is from Snape's private store. Hermione said, as Potions class was getting closer, "So, we still agree that I will be the one to steal the 2 ingredients, since I have a clean record, right?" Harry said, "Yeah, I just hope it works." Ron said, "It has to. We need the ingredients." Hermione said, "It will work, don't worry." She adds as she looks at Ron, " Ron, I need you to cause as much mayhem as possible, for at least 5 minutes." Ron said as he shows Harry and Hermione the firework he was going to use, "I already have the firework, thanks to Fred. Leave the mayhem to me." Hermione smiles, "Good. It's almost time for Potions. It's time to put the plan into action." Harry smiles feebly, this was about as safe as poking a sleeping dragon. Potions class took place in the dungeons. Class started in the usual way. Cauldrons stood steaming between the wooden desks. On the desks stood brass scales and jars of ingredients. Snape as always, walked up and down, in between desks, making remarks. The Sytherins snicker as always, at Snape's remarks. They were working on the Swelling Solution. Harry's Potion was perfect as always, but Ron's Potion was runny, as he was waiting for Hermione's signal. He didn't even hear Snape's remark on his potion! When Snape walked off, Hermione catches Ron's eyes and nods. Ron ducks behind his cauldron, takes out the firework and lights it with his wand. He straightens up and takes aim. He throws it into the air and watches as it lands right in Goyle's cauldron. Goyle's potion explodes, showering most of the class. Malfoy got a face full of the potion. His nose starts to swell up like a balloon. Goyle covers his eyes, which were growing to the size of dinner plates. Snape was trying to stop the chaos that had erupted in his classroom. While all this was happening, Hermione sneaks quietly into Snape's office. Snape roared, "Silence! SILENCE! Anyone who has been splashed, come here for a Deflating Draft! When I find out who did this...." Harry tried hard not to laugh as he watches Malfoy run forward. His head dropping with the weight of his nose, which was the size of a melon. Over half the class ran forward, some were weighted down by arms like clubs, others were unable to speak through gigantic puffed-up lips. Harry and Ron saw Hermione slide back into her seat, the front of her robes bulging. Once everyone has taken the Deflating Draft, Snape went over to Goyle's cauldron and takes out the twisted, black remains of the firework. Everyone went quiet as Snape faces his class. Snape said, "If I ever find out who threw this, I shall make sure that person is punished severely!" Snape looks around and stops right at Ron. He glares at Ron, who gulps in response. Snape's eyes narrow as he looks at him, until the bell rang, signaling the end of class. He said, "For those who finished their potions, fill a vial of it and stopper it. Label your vial and bring it up to me for grading." The students did just that as they gave their vials to Snape. Snape said, "For homework, I want a roll of parchment describing how important each ingredient is and why it's used in this particular potion. To be handed in next lesson. Class dismissed." The students made a note of their homework and hurried out of the classroom. Harry and Hermione grab their bags and starts to head out of the classroom, too. Snape eyes Ron as he grabs his bag to follow them out. Snape said in a tone that told Ron that he was in trouble, "Stay behind, Mr. Weasley." Ron looks at Snape and sighs, then looks at Harry and Hermione, who were standing in the doorway, and said, "You 2 go ahead, I'll catch up in a bit." Harry and Hermione look sympathetically at Ron, then leaves the classroom. Ron walks up to Snape and looks up at him. Snape said, "You threw that firework didn't you? " Ron gulps as Snape continues, "Why?" Ron made up a lie, hoping to convince Snape. He said, "It was just a prank, sir. I didn't mean for it to get out of hand." Snape stares at him for a moment, he knew that Ron was lying, but he didn't know why. He wasn't going to push for the truth, since he knew that Ron wasn't going tell him. Either way, he needed to be punished, something  that he was good at giving. Snape said, "You've just earned detention for the rest of this term, Mr. Weasley. For causing chaos in my classroom. You will serve them with me." Ron gulps as Snape continues, "You're detention starts in 2 weeks time. Since I will be very busy the next 2 weeks. You will do your punishment in my office, tonight at 8pm sharp. Do not be late." Ron nods, "Ok, Professor." Snape said, "You may leave, Mr. Weasley." Ron nods, grabs his bag and leaves the classroom. Ron enters Moaning Myrtle's bathroom a few minutes later, to find Harry leaning against the sink as Hermione adds the 2 ingredients. Harry looks at Ron and said, "Why did dad make you stay after class, Ron?" Ron sighs and said, "To give me detention until the end of this term. He asked why I threw the firework. He knew it was me. I told him that it was just a prank." Ron sighs again, then said, "I have to serve my detentions with him." Harry sighs, "I'm sorry Ron." Hermione said, as she stirs feverently, "Hi Ron. I'm sorry too. Snape can't prove it was you, Ron. How can he prove it?" Ron said, "I don't know." Harry comforts Ron as the potion froths and bubbles.