17: She is Back

-sometimes, you have to go down that road-

Demir's Westside mansion was a beauty taken out of a sheer fairytale. There was a small lake lining its outskirts and a thick forest hovering behind its golden gates. At first, I thought that I would be lonely among the huge carved walls of the mansion, with its countless rooms being empty, but that wasn't the case.

Demir had remained true to his words of starting new. He would return home early from work and make enough time for me. His cold facade had slowly melted down to reveal bits of his charming and witty personality. Also, I got to figure out that my husband had quite a childish side. He would bring out his old Sega collection and have me join in the fun of racing down the difficult paths. According to him, games from his childhood were the best. 

 The painful memories of being an ignored wife seemed like distant scars now, as Demir and I started enjoying each minute of our lives. We would switch from simple humour to deep conversations. I would have Demir beat coffee for me daily, and we would have a little special coffee-hour session that would be just about us. 

I could see Demir slowly falling for me. The softening of his gaze when it met mine...the warming of his smile as he listened to my gibberish. It was like he was finally beginning to feel the spark which I had picked on a long time ago. I just hope that was enough to help him get over his pain. 

Now sitting in the living room,  my eyes eyed the clock as I eagerly waited for Demir to come back home. It was almost time for our coffee hour. Roughly running my hands through my hair to get rid of the tangles, my heartbeat grew fast as the front door finally opened. 

"Maya, I am home." This homey announcement made me feel giddy and warm.

"I am in the living room," I called out, causing the sound of Demir's heavy footsteps to head towards me. He seemed to be in an extremely good mood, with his eyes gleaming at my sight. 

"So, how was my wife's day?" he smiled, sitting down beside me on the couch. I beamed with giddiness. 

"It was good, but now it's even better," I confessed, lowering my gaze shyly towards my fidgeting hands. I know that I was being extremely corny...that this sounded super cheesy, but the low chuckle escaping from Demir made it totally worth it. 

"Same," he teased back, causing me to look up. 

"Umm...let's go and have some coffee," he then cleared his throat, loosening his wristwatch. 

I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear and stood up. "Sure...but before that, you should have your dinner. I had our house helper help me prepare lasagne. Hope you love it." I smiled, making him nod and get up.

My husband was a whole new person now. 

****

Taking small sips of my coffee, I stood near the railing of our top floor balcony and stared down at the glistening swimming pool. Demir was sitting on a wooden couch placed beside me, with his feet resting on a table that was placed before him. The night air was conveniently cooling down our coffee cups. 

"So tell me about yourself?" I turned to eye Demir with a gentle look on my face. 

"Umm...I am in love with coffee..." he chuckled, giving me a weird look. My question did seem random...abrupt and so loud against the quiet airwaves, but I really did want to know more about my husband.  

"Not like that," I shook my head, suppressing a smile. "I have picked up your interests, but I really want to know about what made you...you. I mean what were you like as a child? Did you make your mother pull on her hair? Just anything that tells me more about you?" I picked on my nails.