Chapter 9

POV Betty        Trigger Warning violence, harassment, threat of sexual assault

"That was quite a performance" someone said from a dark corner as I hurried back into the gym. I looked to see who was speaking.

"Chuck? Is that you?" I asked and was unnerved. Chuck and I were never friends. I never trusted him and Cheryl had told me all the awful things he had done in the last years.

"Betty Cooper. What happened to you? You used to be so sweet and pure. Now look at you, making out with your sister in front of the whole school" he said in a voice laced with venom. As he spoke he walked closer to me.

I shrugged, trying to not to show how nervous I felt. I scanned the dark hallway but it was deserted. I tried to figure out if anyone would hear me if I screamed but I realized that we were too far and the gym was too loud.

"It was just a kiss, I would hardly call that making out" I smiled trying to joke. He glared as he grabbed my arm.

"I don't know what it was like in New York but here in Riverdale, we don't look kindly on sluts" he spat out as he pulled me close.

"Let go of me" I said loudly and firmly. I tried to pull my arm away but he had a painfully tight grip on me.

"Why should I? Maybe you need to be kissed by a real man to straighten you out." he threatened as he leaned in. I could feel his nasty breath on my face and I had a sudden urge to vomit.

"Please" I scoffed.

"Like you're a 'real man'" I snapped and he is livid.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" he screamed and I took the chance to kick him in the crotch. Thankfully, he let go of me to double over and I ran. Sadly I only got about five feet. I was so concerned with looking behind me that I didn't notice that someone was right in front of me. Crap.

I bounced off a rather hard chest and braced for the impact of the ground that never came. Instead, two arms grabbed me and held me upright.

"Betts? You ok?" I looked up to see the familiar face of Jughead and groaned. Great. This was not what I needed right now.

"YOU BITCH! YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FOR THAT!!!" Chuck called as he stood back up. Suddenly, Jughead's face looks murderous.

"What happened?" He asked me as he watched Chuck.

I shrugged, "I guess Chuck didn't appreciate V and I's kiss. He called me a slut and said that I needed to be kissed by a 'real man'. He grabbed me and tried to forced me to kiss him so I kicked him."

"HE What?!! Are you hurt?" Jug asked and I shrugged as he looked me over. Just then I looked up to see Fangs, Toni and Sweet Pea walking over.

"What's going on, boss?" Sweet Pea called as they neared us.

"We've got something to take care of" Jug called back. I looked back to see Chuck realize that we were no longer alone.

"Betty, go back to the gym. Don't worry, baby. We'll handle this. He won't bother you again" Jug said darkly.

"I already handled it. He's not going to bother anyone for a while." I argued but Jug just stared at me.

"I don't need you to fight my battles for me" I said, annoyed just as Chuck limped over to us.

"Of, course you're with this trash. You really are a whore now aren't you, Betty? Well, when is it my turn?" Chuck snarled.

"Boss?" Fangs asked as

"One of you take Betty back to the gym while we teach Chuck why it's not wise to touch women without their permission, especially when they belong to the Serpent's" Jughead commanded.

"I'll meet you at the locker room door later, princess." he whispered to me and kissed my forehead before Fangs pulled me away, gently.

"Don't do this Jughead!" I yelled but went with Fangs.

"Don't worry, baby. I'll see you in a minute" he called back.

"This is ridiculous. I had it handled" I complained as Fangs and I walked back to the gym.

Fangs shook his head.

"Don't worry about it, Betty. Chuck's been pushing us for years. He's a scumbag" Fangs said as we reached the gym.

"Just go sit with Veronica and stay together, ok?" Fangs added. I shook my head and rolled my eyes but I went back to my seat.

"What took you so long? C is about to announce their choices" V asked. She looked at me and her face looked worried.

"Are you ok?" she asked as C walked back to the floor.

"Yeah. I'll tell you later" I whispered and she nodded and put her arm around my back.

"Our new cheer leaders are:" C began and she read a list of five names that included both V's name and my own. I tried to smile at V as she grinned at me but I was worried about what was happening in a certain dark hallway at the moment.

C ended the tryouts by thanking everyone who participated and reminding the one's that didn't make it that they were welcome to try out again next year. After that, everyone started to get up and leave the gym.

"Ok, now tell me what happened?" V asked as C came over. I pulled them both over to an empty corner and told them everything.

"Shit, Betty. Are you ok?" V asked as C looked enraged.

"I'm better than Chuck is at the moment, I'm sure" I replied and V nodded.

"Good" C snapped and I looked at her in surprise.

"It's not good. I had the situation handled. I don't need Jughead and his gang to fight my battles. Chuck could be seriously hurt for all we know" I argued.

C shook her head, "He deserves it. He's a horrible person. Who knows what he was planning to do to you. You know that I'm not a fan of Jughead but I'm glad that he went after Chuck. I'm sorry, B but I would kill him if he hurt you" 

"She's not wrong" V agreed and I sighed.

"But now it's like I owe Jughead. It's like he saved me. I don't need that hanging over my head" I pointed out. C and V looked thoughtful for a moment.

"I think that Jughead is a creep but even I don't think that he would do that. Especially after what happened with his Dad last night. I really think that they see you as a member of the Serpents. One of them.  I may not like the Serpents but I know that they would do anything for each other. They will always fight and protect one of their own" Cheryl pointed out and I relaxed a bit then.

"You think?" I asked and Veronica nodded in agreement.

"Let's go change" V sighed and we headed toward the locker room. As we went down the hallway, I couldn't help but notice a few drops of blood in the shadows.

"What do you think they did to him?" I asked.

"It's probably good that we don't know" C suggested.