Nine

•• Harry ••

'Mum, Dad and I are still waiting for you to come home, just so you know.'

Gemma said from the other line while I tried to balance the phone between my shoulder and my ear as I tried to get my shirt from the closet.

"Sorry Gems, still have a lot of work to do." I replied while I stripped off my shirt and wore the new shirt I got from the closet.

'Work? What work do you have to do? Make coffee and grind coffee beans?' She said, maybe a little bit louder than I expected. I placed the phone on the table beside me and put it in loud speaker as I checked myself in front of the mirror.

"You know how the cafe is busy during the holidays." I told her and adjusted the collar to its proper position.

I could hear her sigh from the other line, and I know she's disappointed at me even if she doesn't tell me.

'Why can't you just resign from that ridiculous cafe and come back home in England?'

"I can't, I'm already comfortable with my job here in New York even if I'm a barista." I replied, but maybe part of it was a lie.

I guess you can say I'm comfortable with my job. It's just, I don't really want to lose the connections and friendship I already have here, it's just too valuable to lose.

And also, maybe a part of me doesn't want to go home because I'm just afraid to show up to my parents doorstep and to see their disappointed gazes. And I really don't want to show up to them especially what I've done to them years ago.

'Well, why can't you just simply visit us? It's been four years, Harold. Four fucking years since we last saw you. Don't you think that's too long?'

"I know it's too long, but I can't just show my arse there like nothing happened. You know why and what exactly happened Gemma." I told her a bit seriously as I straightened the bottom of my shirt since it was a bit crinkled.

'But mum and dad already forgave you. Just come home.' I could tell she was keen on persuading me to go back to England but I'm still not changing my mind any time soon.

"I'll think about it Gems, anyways, I have to go. I'm going somewhere." I said and I was about to end the call when she spoke up again.

'What? But isn't Saturday there?'

"It is, but I'm going somewhere." I replied and sprayed some of the cologne that Henry gave me for my birthday.

'And where is that?' Gemma asked and I could tell she was curious on where I was going because I don't usually go out on Saturdays.

"Just going out with some friends." I told her nonchalantly and skipped the fact that I'm going to see Taylor tonight which makes ma nervous when I think about it for some reason.

'Hope it isn't in a strip club, or else you'll be in trouble Harold. You know I have Max's number.' Gemma warned me like I'm a eighteen year old that causes a lot of trouble. But even though she'll call Max to see what I'm up to, he'll never tell Gemma because he's also a part of this. Let alone he started this.

"Don't worry Gems, I'll watch my arse out." I told her and I could hear her chuckle from the end of the line.

"Alright, I'll get going now. I've got to go, I'll call you soon." I told her and I heard her mutter a quick goodbye and ended the call.

I placed my phone inside my pocket and looked at myself in the mirror.

I guess I don't look that bad or quite terrible to say the least. I wore a dark blue sweater and some black pants on with a brown leather watch on my left wrist. I hope I don't look like a mess. Then I suddenly realized that I'm overthinking about all of this too much, I'm suddenly getting concerned on what I look like around people, especially her, when I usually don't care what people think about me.