Chapter 40 Last Goodbye

I shed a tear zipping up my suitcase while my dad and Logan carried them all down. It was another bittersweet moment of me being conflicted with joy and sadness at the same time. I was off starting a new chapter in my life away from home and I still didn't know how I quite felt about it.

"Is that the last one sweetie ?" Dad called up the stairs - while I wiped a stray tear from my cheek-  before replying; " yes dad !" Trying to sound as brave as I could.

Picking up my suitcase I take a deep breath before closing the door on my childhood memories, keeping it caged in that one room until I return again. My Barbie sticker from when I was 5 , hanging lopsided on the door handle while I close my door once and for all.

"A new chapter begins. " I say to myself while I muster a smile and head downstairs for everyone waiting.

"You all good honey ?" Mom said giving me a hug , knowing me too well.

"Yeah , I'm good now thanks."

Pulling out of the hug I see the smiling faces of our proud family wishing us good luck and Logan standing beside his packed car as well. Walking over to him first ,he pulls me into a hug and whispers "we got this don't worry " as I smile into the hug. When I turned back around I see Shawn pull up into the driveway while I rush over to him next.

"Now you better don't get all Cali on me. Coming back with a surfboard ." He jokes while I hugged him back.

"Don't worry . I won't " I say through a laugh while I turn around and watch everyone form a crowd around Logan and I .

"Let's pray over these kids first" Dad said while we all took hands.

"God , I pray that you take Logan and Amaya into your loving hands and protect them all the way from home in California. I pray that you will give them wisdom and guidance to make the right decisions and that they will use this opportunity to not only lean on eachother in time of need , but lean on YOU. I pray that you watch over our children and bring them back to us safely again. In Your Name I pray , Amen. " Dad said as I saw the tears in his eyes - he was trying so hard to hide - but I knew my dad too well.

"I love you dad. And I'm going to miss you." I said pulling him into a hug. I cherished this moment of my father embracing me , knowing I won't experience this feeling again until break. It was going to be hard being so far away from home , but I know that I need to start growing up sometime. So why not now ?

"I love you too sweetheart. To the moon and back." Dad said , kissing me on the top of my head before I was pulled into a million other embraces , everyone wishing me goodluck and saying goodbye. 

When I sat in my car filled with boxes and clothes to the roof , seeing Logan giving me a thumbs up from his car,  I knew it was time. It was now or never.

Waving goodbye to my friends and family one last time , Logan and I started our journey towards independence and adulthood. We made turns picking music - listening through call - and talking to eachother. It made the trip less... lonely and sad.

"How you holding up ?" Logan asks while I looked back at him in the rear view mirror. He looked calm , happy even.

"I'm much better,  thank you Logan." I said with a smile even though he couldn't see it. After that I played Ocean's so loud that he probably could've heard it to his car. I was just jamming out to Hillsong , having a good time so much so that he had to tell me to calm down or else I would crash. That made me laugh even more. And half a day later we pulled up to my Aunt Marie's house. 

Anna was the first one out the door. As she practically threw my car door open and climbed on top of me.

"Maya !" She yelled while I gave her a big hug.

"And what's going on here ?" Logan said with a chuckle,  walking closer to us.

"Who's that ?" Anna said in almost disgust , scrunching her nose up while I sat her down again and got out.

"Anna , this is Logan , my boyfriend." I said  looking down at her.

"Well he looks -"

"Annabelle Morley! Don't you dare be disrespectful ." Aunt Marie said running over to us.

"Hi Aunt Marie." I said with a smile hugging her.

"It's so nice to see you Amaya. You've grown into a beautiful young lady." She said making me blush.  "And you must be Logan ."

"Yes ma'am. " he said stretching his hand out to her .

"Quit it Tyler!"
"Stop it Jake !" My cousins said , shoving eachother on the basketball court.

"Jake , Tyler , you better not be fighting while I'm here!" I said grabbing their attention.

"Amaya !" They both said at the same time , releasing eachother and rushing over to me giving me a group hug.

"I've missed you guys. " I said ruffling their hair , to which they didn't like very much.

"Hey !" They whined pulling back fixing their hair while I dragged Logan closer to us.

"Guys , this is my boyfriend Logan. Logan, these are my cousins Tyler and Jake. " I introduced them while they did a weird bro handshake kind of thing.

"Let's go inside." Aunt Marie said while we all followed her . The rest of the night we spent catching up and just talking and morning followed us soon after. Before we left another prayer was prayed over Logan and I as we took on the last of our trip to our new home for the next few years.

The campus was bigger than I could ever imagine , but then again growing up and never leaving Georgia could do that to you. The world was so much bigger out here - cheesy I know - but I couldn't wait to see what this new adventure will bring.

Having grabbed our schedules and room arrangements,  Logan and I each picked up a box and carried it to our new rooms.

"I'm in 206." I said stopping at my door.

"307, at the other end of the building." He said with a smile trying to hide how close we were yet so far apart.

"We got this." I said putting the box down " We're gonna make this work , I promise. " I said getting on my toes and giving him a kiss.

"I love you Amaya." He said after pulling back.

" And I love you Logan. " I said with a smile as he started walking off again but not far enough as he turned around again looking at  me.

"You know Amaya , " he said looking serious as he took my hands in his. " I now see why we were meant to meet. How these two broken winged birds were meant to be . You were right. " He said with a smile , quoting my words from when we told eachother of our troubled past. And he was right , I knew he would see the light someday.  I knew he had it in him. I always had . He just... had to figure that out for himself too.

"I love you ," I said again with a smile while we picked everything up for the last time.

"To the moon and back." He said with a smile walking away .

I'm sorry to say that this is the end my lovelies ! If you'd like I'll post an epilogue a few years after college . And if you'd like to see how they look now . Anyone game ? Want it ? Just let me know down below and MAYBE we'll say our farewells next week😊 as always,  thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time,  keep howling my wolves ❤🐺