80. A new feeling

JK's POV

I jolted in my seat at the sound of honking cars blaring behind me. I sat upright and gripped the steering wheel.

The hell.

My mind was all over the place. It took me a few seconds to realize where I was.

I was still stuck in traffic at the same freaking lane!

I touched the side of my head which supposedly hit the window and it was surprisingly, strangely okay.

Was it all just a dream? The sight of the speeding car about to crash on to me flashed before my eyes. I shivered almost instantly. It all felt so real. I can still feel the impact of the collision in my nerves that my hands just can't stop shaking.

The red light burned in short distance. There was a huge gap between me and the car upfront. Then I realized why these guys behind me just wouldn't put their honks to rest.

"I must have dozed off." Really not convinced though.

As I close the gap, my eyes wandered to the lane on the other side. I quickly looked away.

Damn it. This feels so strangely familiar. I shook my head. My mom was always right when she said I should never drink and drive. I caught a glimpse of myself on my rear view mirror. Something's just not right.

I waited patiently for the light to turn green. There is no way I'm messing things up this time.

As the cars upfront went into their respective directions, I felt really uneasy. I clasped and unclasped my fingers on the steering wheel.
Sober up man. I told myself coupled by three quick, deep breaths.

When my time to take the turn came, I cautiously scanned from left to right. I surveyed both directions one more time before I swerve the wheel to the left.

The SUV behind me was honking like a mad man. I had no choice but to push my foot into the pedal abruptly, giving the car an unexpected churn. Before I knew it, I was right in the middle of the intersection. The vehicles behind were blaring off their horns at me. I had to cover my ears to shut them out. It was deafening, as if each one was hooked into an amplifier or something. I didn't know whether to keep my hands on my ears or put them back on the steering wheel.

Then all of a sudden, everything fell silent.

I slowly took my hands off my ears and indeed, all the honking stopped. As I turned to look behind me, I immediately gasped.

The lane was motherf*cking empty! All the cars lined up behind me were... gone.

God damn it! This is freaking me out. I felt goosebumps all over. What the heck is going on??

I tried my best to think straight amidst the panic swirling inside of me. I decided the best I can do now was drive away. But as soon as I step into the pedal, the car stayed still. I restarted the engine and put the mode back to drive but it still won't budge. This really feels like a scene from a horror film with the killer on the loose.

Then the light coming from my right window blinded me. I tried to see through it in between my fingers and realized it was coming from the headlights of a car speeding up towards me. I hurriedly turn the car alive but failed again.

Fuck. I can't believe this is happening again. Good Lord.

I tried flashing my arms desperately over my head for the driver to see but what I just saw flushed the life out of me.