¹³, A FATHER-DAUGHTER THING

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter thirteen; A Father-Daughter Thing
No, no, I am capitalism's hands, here. "

  SIRIUS BLACK FOUND Salem Gerard on a chilly Saturday morning, sitting outside with Lily Evans and Dottie Fitzgerald

  SIRIUS BLACK FOUND Salem Gerard on a chilly Saturday morning, sitting outside with Lily Evans and Dottie Fitzgerald. The girls were giggling as if they'd been friends their entire lives, comfort their common ground, with smiles brightening up the slowly melting winter wonderland.

  "Hey, Sal," Sirius greeted once he was close enough, making all three girls look up and lose their amusement, "Can I chat with you for a minute?"

  "Sure," Salem said without moving.

  "Oh, um, alone?"

  "She has every reason not to see you alone, Black."

  "It's important, though," Sirius told Lily defensively, "Really important— we'll stay where you can see us if it makes you feel better, Evans."

  "Don't talk down to me—"

  "It's fine," Salem cut off Lily, "Trust me, I can handle Sirius."

  Dottie gave Salem a smile of reassurance as the girl stood, receiving one back before she followed Sirius. He stopped behind a large column, wringing his hands momentarily.

  "Is everything okay?"

  "I know it's you."

  "What are you talking about?"

  "You're James's mystery girl."

  Salem thought it'd feel less daunting. That she'd be ready when someone found out, she'd face it with a brave face and be unapologetic. But as Sirius said the words, Salem felt like the curtain had been drawn and her entire life was on display.

  "Does he know?"

  "No," Sirius said quickly, "But he should—"

  "No," Salem said in a panic, "No, if you're really sorry about what you did all those years ago, fix it now. Don't do this to me, again."

  "The situations aren't the same, Sal," Sirius said quietly, "James fancies you— Mystery Girl— and it's not fair that I know and he doesn't."

  "You don't get it, I can talk to him about anything, and the second he knows who I am, that's all ruined."

  Sirius's brows furrowed at this, making Salem sigh and produce a small stack of papers.

  "They're all from the past week," She said as Sirius flipped through one side of the conversation, "Something's changed— I've told him everything."

  "You found your dad?" Sirius asked in shock, "Woah— Sal—"

  "They were for him, not you," Salem grumbled, crossing her arms, "I'm just saying. . . I don't want to ruin it, Sirius."