Blood Masquerade

Ridley

Somehow Vandel had managed to take part in all the most humiliating moments of my life. First there had been kissing him in the woods, then that horrific sex vision and now...well...this. It took everything in me to remain as calm as Vandel appeared to be as the massive doors swung open. I bit back the urge to cover myself, feeling exposed in the meager garment I was being forced to wear.

When the doors opened revealing the ballroom my mouth nearly dropped open. I don't think any ball I had ever attended at the palace could compete with what I was seeing before me. Rose petals appeared to be falling from the ceiling, cascading over the black marble of the ballroom floor where dancers twirled about. The petals were falling slowly, as if they were moving through water. The dancers on the other hand were moving fast, so much so that the petals seemed to whirl about their feet. The room was surrounded by the same black glass that made up the castle but lifelike statues of ravens appeared to be carved out of it, coming into the space as if they too were part of the festivities. I could see other pets about, trailing behind the demon nobles I assumed were their masters. The sight of other humans in this space was both a comfort yet at the same time made my stomach turn to ice water. I found myself extremely uneasy by how vague Vandel had been about their role at these parties. I made a silent vow to myself that as soon as I could I would find a way to save them. Just...not tonight. It would be far too risky without a proper plan. The pets were dressed quite similarly to me in leather straps and collars. The sight made me feel sick. My gaze fell to one pet in particular due to his head of striking red hair. He looked young, he had to be only 18 or 19. As I looked to him he turned in my direction and our eyes locked. I quickly averted my gaze, my heart aching that I couldn't help him.

Vandel looked to me and whispered, "are you ready?" I swallowed hard before giving him a stiff nod and with that Vandel led me into the ballroom.

He scanned the room before his gaze fell to two demons dressed entirely in red silk. The two were complete opposites, the first being tall and lanky with long black hair and the second short and stout with absolutely no hair at all.

Vandel leaned in close to me, whispering, "that's lord Lyell and lord Varmeer. They run most of the trade operations in the demon kingdom. They're our best shot. No one ever pays attention to the pets so you need to be my second set of ears. Talk to the other pets, eavesdrop, watch their body language, whatever you need to do to get the most useful information we can." I nodded and Vandel started to make his way across the ballroom. Suddenly there was a loud thud from behind us. Vandel spun around and hissed like a rabid animal. A large demon had just tripped over Vandel's cape.

The demon stumbled to his feet, a look of fury on his face. "Hey bub! Watch where you drag that thing. This is a ball not a curtain exhibition."

Vandel glared at him. "Better for one's clothes to look like a curtain than a dead animal carcass but that appears to be the ensemble you have chosen for the night."

"Furs are classy!"

"More like trashy! And those color, really? It adds an extra hundred years to you."

"Why you little-" the demon's words were cut short when Vandel removed his mask. The demon's eyes grew wide and his pasty face turned even more ashen. "M-My lord! I am so sorry!" He quickly bowed. "I-I didn't realize it was you who donned such...such...magnificent apparel."

Vandel let out a little huff. "Well it's a mistake you shouldn't make again. Thank the gods you didn't rip my cape or something very regrettable might have happened."

"Y-Yes my lord," the demon stammered. Vandel gave him one final sneer before storming off and I in return was dragged behind him due to the leash.

"Imbecil," Vandel muttered under his breath. He began to calm down as we approached lord Lyell and lord Varmeer, or at least pretended to. When he reached them he smiled thinly, slowly removing his mask once more. "My lords, how wonderful to see you."