22) one letter

Sunday. 3rd September.

A D D I E

Clouds rolled across the dawn. It was the first day of bad weather that I'd seen since I arrived here one month ago. I hoped that there was nothing symbolic about the patters of rain that hit the stable roof, echoing, thundering in time with the pounding of my heart.

Today Willa was going to be here for brunch and I had no idea how it was going to go down. I stood in the stables, leaned against the wall while I watched the rain becoming heavier outside, curtaining the landscape, dimming it's perfection. Not that it wasn't still beautiful in its own way.

There was a distinct whinnie from behind me and I turned around to see Lavender staring over her stall door. Her tan mane needed a brush and it almost looked as if that was what she was suggesting as she shook her head and neighed a little louder. I smiled and collected the brush. Getting into her stall was a bit of a challenge. She'd bolted on Zac more than once when he'd gone in to clean out her trough.

If I was tall enough, I'd have just slung myself across the door, but that wouldn't be happening. Especially in the skin tight jeans that I was wearing. I'd put on a little bit of weight since I arrived, there was never a shortage of food and fresh baking. But the fact that I kept so active was enough to keep me from becoming a slug.

"Please don't bolt on me," I whispered and her quiet neigh sounded like a scoff.

The door bolt creaked and I pulled it open just enough so that I could slip in without a gap, the entire time, Lavender reminded statue still, watching me. Sometimes she seemed far too aware and mischievous for a horse.

"Good girl," I said when I pulled the door closed behind me and stepped up to start brushing her mane. She did a slow blink as the bristles combed through her smooth coat and hair. Her relaxation almost gave me a sense of satisfaction.

"You ever miss your momma?" I asked standing in front of her now and brushing her forehead. Her slow blink continued. Zac told me that the mare who had given birth to Lavender, was sold after she had weened. I knew that it was natural and I knew that animals didn't often remain with their mom's. But I felt sort of sad for both of them.

"You know, I can't be Willa's momma, but we could be friends. If she lets me," I inhaled a quiet breath. "I hope she likes me, Lavender. I know it sounds like we've never met but it's different now. I don't want her to think that I abandoned her. Or didn't love her. I gave her up because I do love her."

Lavender had a relaxed jaw and I lightly laughed when she dribbled and breathed out through her nose. "Zac told me what that means and I've totally forgotten."

"It means she's happy."

I stifled a squeal and spun around to see Zac leaning over the stall door. His elbows rested on the top of it and he had a cap on backwards.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to tell you that you shouldn't worry so much," he tilted his head. "Will is a smart kid. She'll understand and I bet she'll be damn excited that she gets to meet you."

I exhaled a soft breath and watched Lavender as I ran a hand down the front of her face with soft strokes.

"She likes you a lot," Zac said. "The dribble, her soft round nostrils, her relaxed jaw. You've got the magic touch, huh?"

I smiled. "Guess so."

"We're in the thick of a storm," he said, looking out toward the barn doors. The rain was pelting on the top of the barn shed, getting louder. "We'll leave them in the barn until it's passed. Shouldn't be long. You wanna head in with me?"