Comfort

My least favorite thing about sleep were the mornings when you woke up (or at least tried to wake up) and your eyes were crusted shut. May it have been because of allergies, you were still tired, or solely because you spent the previous night crying.

Waking up, I still had the stinging feeling in my eyes - that, of course, I had to force open because of crying so much - my nose was turfed as well and if I had to be completely honest I felt like I had been run over several times by a dump truck. I also had that feeling of emptiness within my lungs that somehow felt refreshing at the same time.

I lied in bed longer than necessary for a Saturday, ignoring my phone that wouldn't stop going off. It was pathetic of me to be lying in a sulk and acting as if my friends didn't exist right now. I was doing this because of a boy, a god damn stupid boy. What made Ashton so special?

"Are you awake?" My dad lightly tapped on my door. It was risky being at home when I knew Sam said serious things were going on. It made me think that people were just waiting for me to get comfortable at home. My dad wore his PJ's and look really exhausted. I looked at the time on my phone and it was already three, meaning my dad had been home from work, but he wanted to say his goodnight's.

"Sadly." I replied when he walked into my room.

"What's wrong?" He chuckled as he pulled a hair away from my face that had dried against my skin overnight.

"Just that time of the month." I patted right below my stomach to make it believable. "Cramps." I didn't dream about telling my dad I was upset because of a guy. Nope.

"I'll bring some Advil and water." He poked my forehead, finding joy in the unseen part of my face that was hidden behind bangs for so long. "Liz sent over some cake, it's in the kitchen in case you're craving something sweet."

If Liz was in town, then she loved to spend her time baking anything for Luke. Sometimes when Luke felt like not being selfish, he would send a cake or some brownies my way to make me happy. Maybe that's why he kept calling me.

"I already took painkillers, thank you though. I'll get some cake soon."

"Ashton's here by the way. Want my to let him up?"

I dragged my knees to my chest and hugging them. "Please tell him now isn't a good time. I don't want to see him."

"Hey." Arrie peeped into the room. "I told Ashton to go away. Told him he was unwelcome here."

"Well...." Dad patted my hand. "That's been solved. I'm hungry." And left me to drown myself in self-pity and possibly take Arrie down with me.

Arrie made himself comfortable in the empty spot on my bed next to me, locking his fingers behind his head and crossing one able over the other. "I didn't wanna say anything last night because I knew there was nothing I could say to make you feel better when we got home." He silenced to let me take in his words. "I have special orders from your brother to keep you safe, even emotionally. And I've failed. I'm supposed to be your big brother while the real brother is away trying to fix things, but I fucked up."

"Guarding my emotions is my own responsibility, Arthur." I hugged my legs tighter.

"Don't call me Arthur."

"Why not?"

"It makes me feel like a grandpa. I'm only 26, Sage."

"Sorry." I mumbled. "Do you know how much trouble Sam is in?"

"I couldn't be exact." He sighed. "Trashing your house was a huge warning sign. But I don't really know what else is being plotted. I swear to you Sam is smart and he knows what he's doing."