Chapter Thirteen.

Avery

I've been at work for six hours and I'm ready to go fucking home. James has said maybe four words to me, so I know that he is still upset with me for rain checking. I was going to ask if he wanted to go out tonight, but since he is being a baby about it, I'm not. I'm just going to go home.

Cam is out with Dylan, Lindsey is out with Nya, and Finn is at practice. I am alright with just hanging out by myself tonight, though. I don't know how it happened, but all of a sudden I got friends and haven't spent nearly as many nights alone as I used too. I don't mind at all, obviously. But I would be lying if I said I didn't like to be alone. Besides, it's been really tough waking up every morning and realizing my dad has still made no effort to try and talk to us. I guess it really shows how much he doesn't care about his family.

I hate that he's my father. I hate that out of all of the men in the world, I got stuck with an asshole as a dad. I would kill to get the dad I used to have back. The one that would take me to NHL games and would come to my dance recitals or pick me up from school and let me sit in the front seat. I don't know when I started to become not enough for him.

After we close the store, we leave without another word to each other, which really sucks. James is one of my closest friends, I don't know why all of a sudden he's caught an attitude.

When I get home, I'm greeted by silence once again. I don't even know where my mom is at this point. My aunt left last week, so now my mom is just spending all her time at work so that she isn't at home more than she needs to be. I get it, because this is where it all went down. And not for nothing, she really just came here to start new with him, but that obviously was bullshit. She doesn't have anything here anymore.

I sigh deeply as I feel random tears come to my eyes. Everything sucks.

I walk up to my room and close the door behind me, even though no one is home. I take off my clothes immediately and put on sweats and Finn's shirt. Once I'm comfortable, I sit down at my desk and take off my makeup, turning on the New York Islanders game. I really fucking miss going to those games.

I was a die hard Isles fan when I lived in New York, which a lot of people found weird back home. I lived in Queens, which was technically considered the city. Everyone where I lived were New York Rangers fans, but my dad lived further east on Long Island before him and my mom moved to Queens. His love for the team just rubbed off on me.

Once my makeup is off, I put on a face mask because my skin has been giving me the finger lately. I decide to french braid my hair while I'm at it, that way when I wake up for school in the morning I just have to take them out and not actually do my hair. I also take out my contacts and put on my glasses once the face mask dries a bit. We love self care.

I sit back in my desk chair and watch the hockey game, scrolling through the American Hockey League app to check up on everyones stats. Ever since meeting Finn, I've become more involved with the AHL, looking at players from other teams to see who he's up against. My eyebrows furrow at a story on the homepage. Finn Wilder is One Goal Away From Being the Youngest Payer in Thunderbirds History to Score 30 Goals.

"Holy shit," I mumble as I click on the article.

Finn Wilder is already the leading goal scorer in his first season with the Seattle Thunderbirds, but he is one goal away from breaking history. With one more goal, he will become the youngest player in Thunderbird history to score 30 goals, and this is only his first year in the American Hockey League. Wilder is a Toronto native who moved to Seattle last August to compete for the Thunderbirds. Since then, he has been a key component for the teams game and has had at least one point for every three games. There are already speculations on Finn Wilder being drafted for the upcoming season by the San Jose Sharks. Finn Wilder is only at the start of his career and there is no doubt that he is going to go places.