Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Lienna

My heart was heavy. Odin had Loki and I separated because of what happened with Ander and Wisteria. It was a strange command, but I obeyed. I was confined to my quarters, where a few maids would attempt to keep me company.

Of course, being servants, they didn't know how to hold my attention, but I could relate to them, having been a slave girl myself. I let them rest by the fire, and I braided their hair. They became like sisters to me. One of my favorites, a small girl named Anette who couldn't have been older than six, had a particular fascination with the stories I had to tell. I would sit her down beside the fireplace and brush her beautiful golden locks while recounting pieces of my life with a few added details.

She came one day with a story set in her mind: the tale of the young princes.

I figured this particular yarn wouldn't hurt to tell, and besides, it would keep the memory of an innocent Loki fresh in my mind.

"Well, Anette, the little princes were spoiled. They were both destined to be king."

She nodded, settling into my lap. "Did they play like me?"

"Oh, yes! They had a particular game they found joy in. It was a simple one, of course, because Thor could never understand Loki's complex games."

Anette giggled. "Thor sounds like my brother."

I grinned. "This game involved a knight decorated in the finest of armors, and a wizard with a quick hand and a devilish smile."

I paused, remembering the little princes prancing about, arguing over who was the prince and who was the wizard. Thor always seemed to win, but Loki had tricks up his sleeve.

"The two would find two girls who wanted to play the parts of princesses. The object of the game was to charm the girls into falling in love. Of course, the boys always fought over the prettiest little princess," I tickled Anette's sides, eliciting a shriek. "A little girl just like you."

"Thor would win her over with his bravery quite often. However, not every girl likes a man with muscle and is very prideful."

"Like you," she stated. "You like Prince Loki."

I nodded. "Yes. Some girls would fall for Loki. Then the brothers would fight over her."

"Like you," she said again. "Didn't they fight over you?"

I stopped for a moment. It was sounding a bit familiar. "Yes again. Exactly like me. But when they were younger, the fights would go on and on until someone would break them up."

She nodded thoughtfully. "So you broke up the fight?"

"I suppose I did."

Anette went quiet again. Then she spoke up. "Do you love Loki or Thor?"

"I wasn't sure for a while, but I love Loki." I began to braid her hair.

"Why?"

Why did I love Loki? "Well, he's a charmer, and that was a problem for a few days," I repied, remembering when I first came to the palace. "He's also very smart, and quick witted. You've heard them call him Silver Tongue."

"I thought that meant he gave good kisses," she replied.

I laughed, finishing the braid. "He does give good kisses."

"Why else do you like him?"

"I enjoy being around him. It feels... safe."

"So even though he doesn't big muscles like Thor does, he makes you feel safe?" Anette questioned. I nodded. "I like that. I want my husband to make me feel safe."

"I like that idea. Now, up, up, up! It's time for you to eat dinner!" I called.

Anette hugged me tightly as we both stood up. "Thank you for teaching me about love," she said.

I grinned. "You're welcome, sweetie. Now go eat, I hear they're having pudding!"

Her eyes lit up. She loved pudding. I relaxed onto my bed as she ran away. Another maid would be by with my meal later.

Now the room felt empty. I felt empty as well. I hadn't seen Loki since the night he attempted proposing nearly two weeks ago, and it had taken its toll on me. I wasn't allowed to even send messages with the maids to him, and the only visitors I got were the maids. I wasn't even allowed to see Queen Frigga or Thor. I had nearly grown utterly listless. Every night I prayed that Odin would put an end to this strange and awful order.

A knock sounded at the door.

"Come in!" I called.

In stepped Queen Frigga, a motherly smile on her face. "Get up, darling!"

I was confused. "Why? Has Odin decided to set me free?"

"Yes! Now, get up! There are things to be done!" She pulled a dress and shoes from the wardrobe, and pulled me out of bed. "Very important things!"

××××××