Part 21

"Because I'm not a king!" The sound of Silas angry shout jolted me awake. Every nerve ending was alert and ready to fire as if I had just been doused in a bucket of ice water.

"I know what you think. I know what everyone thinks and I don't care. The council is breathing down my neck. I have a house full of injured fighters. Three wolves are missing. And now theres a fucking psychotic wolf loose in my territory that likes to hurt my mate. I can't just leave to lead the alliance against Devlin. I won't. I won't abandon her. I won't abandon my pack. Bloodline be damned!" Silas said.

"Devlin is the priority here Silas. You have to see that! Don't forget what we went through, what other children are still going through! Mark her, drop your rank, and step the hell up where you belong!" Logan argued.

I shifted on the couch to get up. Aaron shifted as wall allowing me to pull my legs off of his lap. I glanced over at him to see if he was listening to this argument as well or if he was still sleeping. Aaron's eyes were still closed so I assumed it was the latter.

"It's not that simple." Silas said.

"The hell it isn't." Logan growled.

"Aaron doesn't want to be Alpha and a marking...isn't on the table. We aren't ready for any of this. It's not like I'm your only option. You could lead this just as easily as I could." Silas said.

"Bullshit. You are the only one that can unite the packs and you know it. This is your fight. It always has been!" Logan said.

I made my way toward Silas office. I hadn't decided yet if I was going to interrupt or simply close the door. We had a house full of wolves and these two were arguing like teenagers over a very sensitive subject.

"I said no." Silas voice was hard and definite. He was ending the discussion.

"I will help you in any other way that I can but I will not lead this." Silas said.

The office door jerked open as I reached out. Logan looked down at me for half a second before storming off. I heard the front door slam and I turned my attention back to Silas office.

Silas was seated at his desk with his head in his hands. I paused in the door way debating if I should leave him alone or try to help. I decided to at least try. I shut the door behind me. The sound of the door brought Silas eyes up to look at me and he offered me a soft smile.

'Are you ok?' I asked.

"I'm fine." He nodded.

'I don't think I've ever heard you yell like that.' I walked closer to his desk as I signed.

Silas let out a heavy sigh and nodded again.

"I'm sorry we woke you." He said.

I shrugged. I didn't care about that. Judging by the light filtering in through the windows I had slept long enough. My eyes flickered over Silas face taking in his wary eyes and thickening scruff. He looked exhausted.

'Did you sleep at all?' I asked.

"I will." He said. 

That was a no.

'How about now?' I asked.

Silas chuckled.

"I'm almost done. I just have a couple more pages to finish and then a quick run to check in with the patrols. I will nap after that I promise." Silas said.

My eyes widened at his list. A run to check on the patrols would take anywhere from three to five hours. It meant he was no where near being done.