Chapter 16

The day had finally come, the first day of school. You and Benny had spent the night prior celebrating his birthday, but as soon as the sun came up, it was now school season.

You didn't hate school, as you were pretty good in most of your subjects, but there was just a sense of being annoyed all the time whenever you were on school grounds.

At least you and Benny were going to the same school this year.

He had encouraged you to show off your relationship to everyone at school through PDA. You couldn't say you hated it, but you kept getting weird looks from some of the more popular kids. Not Benny, per say, just you.

You see, in school, Benny was very popular, being a baseball player and all. Also, the fact that he was one of the better-looking kids in school. You on the other hand, kind of stuck out like a sore thumb when it came to the standard popular girl. They were all preppy, and beautiful, with their long curls and made up faces. You were pretty, very pretty... but you dressed and acted differently than the rest of them.

When lunch time rolled around, you and Benny were invited to sit at a table with some other more well-known kids at the school. Benny had instantly fit in, and began talking with some of the other guys. You wanted to talk to them too, but some of the girls at the table had gotten your attention.

"You know, we gotta hand it to you, we never thought that Benny would settle for someone like you, but here you are. That's pretty impressive." One of the cheerleaders sitting across from you said.

Even though Benny was sitting right next to you, he was tuned into another conversation, so he couldn't hear the girl's remarks. If he had heard anything, he might have said something he'd regret.

"Thank you?" It came out more as a question than anything. You didn't know whether to feel insulted by the statement, or proud that you were the only girl who could get Benny.

"Yeah, we always thought he'd end up with Susie, from his math class. She's super smart, and she models for the town catalog. She always used to catch his attention before, but I guess he's lowered his standards." One of the other girls had added on, giggling as she did so.

Geeze, that hurt. Sure, you weren't the most traditionally attractive girl in the world, but there was so much more to you than just looks. It really hurt you that the only one who could see that was Benny.

Speaking of which, Benny had just now come into the conversation, not hearing the last thing that was said.

"What are we talking about?" He interjected playfully, making you smile. He reached down between you two and grabbed your hand, making your grin spread wider.

"Just bout how impressed we are that Elz tied you down. We thought you'd never pick a girl." They spoke to him with very different words, as to not upset him with the way they said it to you. You were also surprised to hear the name Elz come from the girls. Usually everyone just called you Mack.

"What can I say, she's the greatest girl out there." He leaned over and kissed your cheek, making you blush insanely. The other girls wouldn't show it, especially in front of their boyfriends, but they were crazy jealous. All the girls had been after Benny for years, and now today he just strolled in with his arms around you. They were probably not going to be nice to you at all this semester.

You were very shy when it came to talking with other girls. Simply just because you never seemed to fit in with them whenever you tried. Not that you tried that often, but it still wasn't something you'd ever really be good at. You had a lot of guy friends, and they seemed to like you well enough, even though most of them didn't even know you were a girl.