Chapter 24

Kora

Kora

I took a deep breath, turning away from the driveway that led into the huge compound, with the big white building far into the middle. The word "NAUN" was written in gold on it, bold enough for anyone to see. There was also a black flag with a gold, and really classy crown in the middle, swaying with the cool breeze right beside the building. This was it. My dream University. This was NAUN, and the day that was supposed to be one of the best days of my life had just turned to one of the days I couldn't wait to end.

There was nothing really exciting about schooling here anymore. Mum suggested that I had changed if I didn't want to go here anymore, but screw it, I deserve to be here. Why did I need to give up my dreams for anyone? Why did I have to give it up because a part of it was gone? NAUN was my dream school. I had planned the better part of my life for this moment, all my prayers for this moment. Besides, Luke and I were done. It's been six months and I've moved on. He was my past. If I were to bump into him this very moment, I wouldn't even care about anything.

This was my year, my second chance. My time to start over, to live and who knows, my Prince charming could just be waiting for me right inside those walls.

My thoughts got cut short the moment I felt a gentle push on my arm as two girls walked past me chuckling, and almost running at the same time. Their really short skirts moving in sync with the wind. Uniforms.

That was my only problem with this university, and I looked really ridiculous in mine. Well, unlike other universities, NAUN had a really strict rule on what to wear on school grounds. That was why the uniform idea wasn't let go. For a school that had ninety nine point nine of her students from rich homes of different classes, and a really few middle and low classes, it was only neutral to want to build a mutual environment for everyone. I kind of understood why.

Imagine if everyone were allowed to dress how they liked and just walked in and out classes in designers and all that, imagine the pressure on the teachers and the rest of the minute students that couldn't afford to drip in designers too. NAUN had pushed so hard to maintain a common, classless environment for all her  students, and had actually not stopped to consider the fact that forcing everyone to wear uniforms they can design in whatever way they liked with whatever accessories they liked didn't exactly take away the class segregation from within her walls.

My attention was still focused on the girls in front of me. It looked like they were in a hurry to get into the building, and it wasn't just them, a lot of people were doing that too.

"Kora?" I turned slowly at the sound of my mother's voice, watching her hurry towards me from the car with Mike playing with his toy car in his hands. How did she always manage to carry him all the time? Mike got heavier, everyday. I watched one of the maids that had come with us pull my pink box from the car. I made sure I had packed light.

"Mum."  I forced a tiny smile on my face, just as I noticed the tears that clouded my mother's eyes. Was she really about to cry?  "Mum, please." I looked around. I had to make sure no one was watching. God, this was becoming so embarrassing. "Mum don't do this to me, please."