Chapter Twenty-Four

He stared at you. You stared back. The two of you sat there for a while as he stood in shocked silence. You, on the other hand, were mortified. You knew rationally that eventually you would be caught, but you hadn't expected it to be like this.

"You-" Mirio started, and you shushed him. You put a finger up to his lips, preventing him from continuing.

You stood there for another moment, unsure of what to say. He had gone quiet, staring at you with wide eyes. You spoke slowly. "I don't suppose there's any way that I can convince you that this was a coincidence, huh?"

Mirio shook his head. He was really, truly torn. The girl he had a crush on had just come through a warp gate that looked eerily similar to the ones that the League of Villains member, Kurogiri, used. Said girl was now looking at him like a deer caught in headlights, clearly not having expected to be caught. He didn't know what to do. Did he report you to the heroes and have you be arrested? Should he stay quiet? For one of the first times in his life, he was unsure of what to do in a situation.

"How long?" he finally asked, and your shoulders dropped.

"Right before the attack on the training camp," you replied warily.

"Why?" Mirio blurted. "Why the hell would you join them? Did you really hate it with us that much?"

"No!" You exclaimed, waving your hands at him as you shook your head. "No, Mirio. It's not that. It was never that. I really like you guys, I promise. I joined because they told me that if I didn't, then they would send in a report to the police saying that we killed Nighteye. They said that if I joined, they'd take the fall for it. I didn't... I didn't want you to get hurt."

"They blackmailed you?" Mirio asked, suddenly tentative.

"Yes," you told him. It was only half the truth, and you knew it. You knew that you were a dirty liar. But you couldn't handle telling him the truth- telling him that you didn't mind their presence. That their goals aligned with your own. It would break his heart; you could feel it. So, you refrained from telling him any of that.

"We can get you out of this, then!" he told you. "We can find a way around it!"

He sounded so hopeful it made your heart clench. You shook your head. "No, I'm not risking that. Besides, they'd immediately arrest me for aiding and abiding criminals, regardless of the circumstance. You can't tell anyone about this. I mean it."

"But-" Mirio started, then stopped. He knew you were right. Even if you were a victim, you were still helping the most wanted criminals in the country. "Fine. But I want you to tell me everything, okay? No more secrets."

You hesitated and he noticed it immediately.

"Promise me," he said, and you sighed. You didn't really have a choice. Right now, Mirio held your life in his hands. You knew that all it would take would be a text to Himiko and you could be out of there, but something stopped you. For the first time, you realized that you liked Mirio, and not in a friend type of way. You wanted him to like you too. You wanted him to trust you.

The revelation seemed to make the whole world pause. You swallowed, throat suddenly dry. "Fine. No more secrets, I promise."

You were hesitant, of course. You knew that telling him the truth would probably mess up your friendship forever, but you knew that it was the right thing to do. He was trusting you to tell him this, and so you did. With a shaky voice and trembling fists, you told Mirio everything. Everything from your visits with Overhaul to the way the League treated you like family- he heard all of it. And god damn it if it wasn't nice to finally tell somebody.