Chapter One Hundred & Fourteen | Fourth World

[ 114 ]

Inside of the hut belonging to the Chief's favoured son, there was many people. On one side, was the son himself as he distractedly talked to member's of the clan who had come to visit him. They were talking lowly so not to be overheard. Their topic, Finch had to guess, involved the man's brother. Since Finch had been more than willing to divulge some information regarding his sighting of Falcon acting suspicious.

He decided against revealing everything, leaving Hawk and his close-knitted followers to do the hard work.

On the other side of the room, Finch stood uncomfortably as two women coated their hands with oil and ran them all over him. He had had to quickly get used to the sensation, as the day before, the woman he had slapped the hand of was diligently coating him with it. It proved to amuse Hawk, when he woke from his nap, to find his attendant's expression of disgust.

Now that it was officially the day of the ceremony, everything was being done with a sense of urgency. More slaves arrived to get Finch prepared— oiling, braiding his hair and ensuring he was prepared for an occasion he still knew very little about. After being oiled up everywhere but what his loincloth would cover, another pot was brought forwards containing what looked to be red mud.

The women didn't consult him before getting started, drawing sometimes intricate and other times splats, on his body. It dried fast, making Finch's skin feel tight and constrictive. Especially when a woman dragged her index and forefinger down the centre of his lips, down his chin and then his throat. It went against everything he had learnt in the previous world, about keeping people at a distance and away from the vulnerable parts of the body. But the slaves didn't share that same concern, as they applied the markings without a single thought for Finch's wellbeing.

When one went to touch his necklace, Finch swiftly brought his hand up and stopped her from touching it. They shared a look and she withdrew, waiting for Finch to lift it up for her to get to the top of his chest.

From there she dragged the red tinted substance all the way down the centre of his chest, down his torso and to his navel. Only then did she stop. Overall, it took some time before they stepped back and decided they were done. Which is when Hawk ventured over and examined their work. He, like all members of the clan, were dolled up just as nicely for such an important event.

Hawk's hair was pulled back off his face and tied up high. The long strands swayed as he moved and freely caressed the smooth, broad shoulders which consisted of defined muscle. Exaggerating his handsome and strong features, was some markings of his own. From the corners of his eyes, branching out diagonally, downwards across his cheeks was the red substance that stopped when it touched his sharp jawline. Around his eyes and halfway down the sides of his nose, it was brought to a sharp point just before the nib. It created a menacing appearance but a look that no other person wore.

It contrasted greatly against the smiling expression currently on the man's face. After dismissing the slaves and fellow clansmen, they gave them some space. "Our god won't be displeased." He outstretched his hand and lightly cupped Finch's cheek which was without markings. His thumb brushed over his bottom lip, careful not to obstruct the drying paint. "You don't need to be scared, not with him watching over us."

"I'm not scared." Finch easily retaliated before reigning it in. "But it's unlikely I'll be cherished to the extent that you are, master. I'm only me." When acting humble, it grated on Fahren's ears to even hear it. He hated those types of people, who looked down on themselves so much even though they were knowingly treasured.

Finch wasn't worried about whether or not he was going to be liked by some apparent god. He had already both fondled and been fondled by said being, but he was increasingly wary of what had been said to him during their last encounter. A so-called barrier was keeping Finch's mind from being penetrated by the deity. After whatever takes place at the offering ceremony, that barrier would be passable, and would potentially risk the whole test Fahren was undergoing. Which, with System's worrying absence, left Fahren fretting about what to do.