Chapter Eight

Lux

 Lux had only been hungover once, and afterward, she promised herself to never, ever drink that much again. So, when she peeled her eyes open to find the world spinning while someone used her brain for drum practice, she tried to remember what would have prompted her to break that vow. Because certainly, nothing else but a night of intense drinking could make her head hurt so much. And her mouth feel like she'd chewed on cotton.

"Ugh," someone grunted beside her, the soft noise having the same impact as an atomic bomb against Lux's eardrums.

"Shhh," someone else whispered.

Propping herself up on her elbows, she squinted at her surroundings. She was on the living room floor, lying next to Sara Elizabeth and Ruby. Brooke and Thorne were on the couch, their mouths slack with sleep while Travis snored on the recliner. His long legs dangled over the edge of the footrest. The curtains were drawn, blocking all but a sliver of glaring morning light.

She jabbed her tongue at her lips, breaking through the sticky film keeping them together and then grimaced as she swiped her tongue over the cracked surface. For a moment, she considered rolling over and going back to sleep like the others, but the robust aroma of fresh coffee drew her to her feet and out of the living room.

"Hey, darling," Mama said when she spied Lux coming into the kitchen. She sat on a stool by the island. Dark half moons bruised the skin below her lashes, and her long sable hair was piled on top of her head, making her look like a twenty-something instead of the mother of one.

"What the heck happened last night?" Lux asked, pouring liquid gold and a splash of creamer into a mug. She scratched the back of her head while she sipped on the hot brew. What in the world could they have gotten into that her mother would've been involved in?

"Oh gods," Mama groaned, "I was hoping you could tell me. Your father and grandmother look as bad as we do, but we have no idea what we did last night."

Lux popped open the trash and searched its contents. Nothing but take out boxes and soda cans. The counters gleamed as if freshly scrubbed, and she didn't recall seeing anything out of place in the hallway or living area- outside of the bodies of the entire Circle plus Travis. It certainly didn't look as if a party had happened last night.

"We either threw the best or the worst party ever," she said with a sigh.

"Can't you smell it?" Mama said. She rubbed her channeling stone as she sniffed the air. "There's so much magic in this house..."

Lux sniffed, checking for the sweet, slightly burnt smell of magic. Her eyes went wide, and she touched her channeling stone in response. Relief from her headache was almost immediate as some of the residual magic traveled through her to the stone.

"The only time I've ever sensed this much power was after Lughnasadh when we performed the Gateway Ritual."

"We performed a spell last night. A powerful one that required the entire Circle and your father."

"But why? And for what?"

"I was hoping you could answer that. The more I try to think about it, the harder it is to focus. There's a blank space in my mind. Like water going around a rock in a stream."

"Same for me," Lux admitted, but rather than feel fretful, a sense of rightness washed over her. The sense that warned her or pushed her forward promised her that they'd done something good.

Mama looked at her with concern. "Lux, you okay?"

 "I'm fine, and I wouldn't worry about what happened here. Whatever we did was right and needed. I'm sure of it, but we should all take it easy today. Everyone is going to have a magical hangover."