19

Chapter Nineteen | What's Your Sign

I remember in 2nd grade when Liam and I got into a scuffle on the playground one afternoon, and our teacher made us sit inside the classroom for the rest of recess. She forced up to sit in desks placed beside one another and write a list of nice things to say to the other.

I remember writing down that Liam smelled like a girl and cried like one too, and he said my nose was too big for my face and I had sticks for legs. The teacher had gave us a slap on the wrist and told us to try again. It wasn't an easy task, honestly. Trying to think of something nice to say about Liam was like asking me to grow a tail — literally impossible.

However, Liam groaned aloud before putting his pencil to the paper and scribbled down something quickly. The teacher had smiled and praised him for cooperating, and I couldn't help but feel a little envious so I begin to write down things about the boy as well. Soon, it became a competition between the two of us to see who could write the most nice things about one another even though we both despised each other.

Liam wrote down things like how my skin reminded him of the chocolate bars he liked to eat, and how he liked that he could use my "long head" to block the sun from his eyes. I wrote down that he smelled like a girl but a nice girl, and how his body is soft and makes for a perfect landing pad when I fall down on him during a game of football.

And as we all sat in the Art room in a circle looking at one another, that memory is all I can think about. After Liam's and Corbin's little argument yesterday, Director Greene noticed how our group hasn't been finishing our work as fast as the other group and decided to set up this little "intervention" to found out what's really the problem.

Liam looks like he could stab his pencil right in Directors Greene eye right now. He sat across from me with glaring eyes, his jaw clenched emphasizing his already sharp facial features.

It's like the third day of us working on this play, and we're already having issues. Surprisingly, it isn't between Liam and I, but instead, Liam vs everyone else.

Director Greene was having us go around the room talking instead of us doing the work we were assigned. I'm not complaining though, I'd rather sit around and talk about nothing than design clothes or paint backdrops any day. He had us all sitting in an circle, Toby to my right and Corbin to my left. Liam sat across from me with crossed legs and his arms folded over his chest. He looked annoyed and uncomfortable.

"So what was the issue yesterday?" Director Greene asked, forcing us to pull our chairs in a circle like we were in a group rehab facility.

His eyes automatically shifted to Liam who was beside him. The boy instantly turned his head and upturn his nose to the ceiling, ignoring the gaze like a bratty child. Director Green tucked his lips before he leaned over and tapped him, causing Liam to roll his eyes and exhale a heavy sigh.